Is online business more competitive than offline ?

Sotherefore

VIP Contributor
Starting up a business both offline and online is never an easy thing to do , a lot of entrepreneur will always face with one challenge or the other when establishing a business , And from all indication one of the most popular challenges most people are facing in business nowadays is competition .

These competition is not only for online business alone but business generally which includes offline and online. I have come to find out that people who are establishing business online also have to overcome some level of competition to stand out in their areas of concentration , and also the same thing in offline business .

One of the most competitive online business I understand is freelancing , this will require a serious dedication to succeed . In the other hand establishing an offline business would also expose you to some competition. One of the most competition ways in offline business is when you are dealing with product of the same kind with numerous producers.

I was just considering if we are to compare the competition in the online space and offline, which one will likely be the most competitive. Please kindly give your reason base on your points of view ,Thanks .

Jasz

VIP Contributor
In nearly every facet of business, the internet has transformed how we do business and interact with our customers. The ease of doing business online has brought in a more competitive marketplace, but is it more competitive than doing business offline?

The days of the Yellow Pages are long gone, replaced by online directories and search engines. Companies used to be able to secure their position in the Yellow Pages for years at a time. This gave them an opportunity to build up brand recognition as customers flipped through the pages. Now, companies have to struggle with Google rankings or pay for advertising in order to make sure they stand out from the crowd.

Offline businesses also have the benefit of location. They can be easily located by passersby, relying on foot traffic and word-of-mouth marketing to bring in new customers. Online businesses have to rely on search engine optimization and social media marketing just to get their name known.

Online businesses do have some benefits over offline businesses. They don't have the overhead costs that come with a physical location, such as rent and utilities. They also don't need as many employees, if any at all. This can help them keep their costs down, allowing them to offer lower prices than their offline competition.

Overall, online businesses may face more competition

Mika

VIP Contributor
You don't need lot of investment in order to start an online business. If you have $500 you can easily create a dropshipping business, if your business succeeds, you will earn a lot of money from your dropshipping business. However, just like you a lot of people also think that staarting an online business is easy and does not require a lot of investment. Therefore, the competition is always high. Furthermore, if you have an offline store, people passing by the street will see your store and end up buying from your store. However, for an online business to get noticed you will have to spend a lot of money on ads.

Kendy

Verified member
I presume they are still the same in terms of competition but if I am to choose a particular stance, I would say that, offline business is more competitive than online business. The offline business even from the starting point is hard to set up and it demands proper planning and adequate funding to make it visible to customers. Offline businesses demands money to rent a shop or outlet and then, needs techniques or strategies to capture the mind of audience. Also, offline businesses may not have access to the specific audience depending on where the location is set. Offline business faces so many challenges and disaster like; during the covid-19 pandemic, most offline ventures were disrupted while on the other hand, online businesses were even booming more because of higher demand. The offline business have challenges like; environmental hazard, pollution and all sorts of flood issues.

The online business have its own challenges as well, but it is not as much as the offline. I think the online business is also very competitive but it has lesser risk. For online businesses, am entrepreneur does not need to rent a shop or an outlet before he can be permitted to operate.

Augusta

VIP Contributor
Well generally I think there's always competition when it comes to any business whether online or offline but to me I think competition is stiff more offline since this is more of a physical domains where one can look out what they other is doing vividly and start imitating without remorse. I'm not even talking about trying to steal your customers. I know I have been winked by a nearby store to come to their while I was trying to enter their neighbors own. Well, I walked past where I intend entry to theirs and they were even willing to sell at a lower cost than expected.

So you can see that there's a stiff competition there. some go as far as rubbishing the other products and call it fake and even tarnishing their image just to gsin a new customer. but I don't think this can really happen online as there's no physical contact and no one will know where you would donr your research or search before contacting them

For me I have always love online trading more because of the issue of less competition. There's just very awkward kind of competition offline and some people become very funny because of it.

SensationalEd

An offline business is very competitive talk more of an online.
You'll need all the motivation and inspiration not to give up an online business.

Jasmine

VIP Contributor
Online business is as competitive as an offline business, and it is really difficult to say which one is more competitive. If you open a shop at the corner of a business street, you might be easily spotted by your customers. However, if you open your online business, your customer will never find your business until you do SEO and digital marketing. However, getting a shop space at the corner of a business street is quite impossible. Even if you manage to get a shop space and set up your shop, your shop running cost will be very high (because you will be paying a lot of money on rents). Furthermore, having a shop in the prime location does not guarantee the business. Your choice of business niche (online or offline) should depend on your experience, expertise, funds you have an business idea. If you are experienced digital marketer, and SEO expert, you might easily succeed with online business, if you do not have a lot of funds, you might find it easier to start an online business. Likewise, if you want to sell locally, and if you get a good business space, offline business can be better option for making money.

Chibson

VIP Contributor
Starting a business both online and offline is really not a child's play because you need a lot of knowledge to actually succeed. The advent of the internet and different social media platforms has skyrocketed the interest of a lot of people to make money on the internet.

The truth is that if you want to venture into online business you must understand everything required of you to be successful in that particular business line if not you may actually end up not making any money.

There are a lot of competition on the internet and if you're not on top of your game, you may actually not be able to make something tangible. Starting a business on the Internet can sometimes not be too costly but with the right knowledge you can actually get there.

If you want to start a business like blogging you don't require much amount of money to start it. With something like $30 you can comfortably start a very good blogging business and on the long run, you can succeed provided you have proper knowledge of what to do.

To be honest, competition is in both online and offline business but in online business where there are more customers, you have a higher chance of succeeding if you have a lot of knowledge about the business you are into.