Is the engineer required for the construction of a structure?

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
With my experience in the construction of my store and the repairs in our house, I would say that an engineer is not exactly needed as long as I know the ways and means of the construction. All I did was to hire a carpenter and mason plus laborers to do the job. I did the supervision and I was proud that I did it right. Don't get me wrong. I have some experience in the construction because I was observing all the works in our ancestral home when I was younger.

A 3-story building is being constructed on the lot beside our property. The work started December of 2019 so it is now 2 years in the making. There was no engineer and the supervisor is just well versed with the construction. The architectural plan was okay and was created by a legit architect. Maybe the supervisor knows the job but he doesn't know the sequencing. There is a tree beside the corner post of the building that remains until now. The worker doing the finishing of the post is having a hard time with the cramped space. I learned that the tree will be removed. There are also problems in the flooring that the ground floor flooring was demolished to give way to the tiles. Oh, such a botched job that would take too long. The lot is only 500 square meters so the building is not really too big. The problem? There is no engineer.

kayode10

VIP Contributor
It is very important to make use of the service of an engineer whenever you want to engage in construction of a building. And in fact you should make use of an expert engineer in the construction you are undergoing on your sight. An engineer will recommend the right material and things you need to including the construction so that the building will stand the test of time. You should never make an attempt to cut the course on the service of an engineer. A lot of building has collapsed as the owner refused to follow the advice of an engineer all in the name of cutting the cost.

General01

Engineer , particularly architectural engineer can be very helpful in the construction of a structure. In as much as you have some little experience in building house adding it up with a professional advice can be top-notch .

Often times we believe that things are true because majority are doing it, but of course that is not always how things are.
Majority of people can be trapped in errors without them even knowing.
In a nutshell professional advice is very important when it comes to setting up a structure

Kevin M M

Of course. I believe they should be on site in order to avoid making mistakes that might cost a lot more money to repair in the long run. And if the engineer is around to supervise the job being done, it eliminates people taking short cuts just to finish the job in a hurry.

Setho

VIP Contributor
Due to safety and security concerns laws that are affecting the planning and building of your house is very different across geographical locations. In my place for example you will need people from the local governments to come and give you the kind of house that you want to build and they are the ones that are going to suggest whether you can build it on your own or you will have to hire a third-party engineers. The usually evaluate how if anything goes wrong how many people are going to be affected and then they try to advise you on where to go.

E

eldavis

To be on the safer side, it would be best to make use of an engineer. Speaking form my parents experience, while they where building their house, the person in charged of the site was actually versed on various aspects, he took charge of almost everything out there but there where some sensitive areas before he made any decision, he would ask we contact the engineer to come and have a look and to also hear his side as well.

funmi

Verified member
Here in my country, many people did not involve one engineer before, during and after the construction. My father's house was planned and built by some people who are called bricklayers in Nigeria. These bricklayers are very experienced and highly capable of doing the job well. My Dad only supervised them while they were building the house. Right now, the house is over 30years and it is still standing strong. Hiring an engineer will only cost you a lot of money to get the job done.
But if you have enough money,for the project, involving an engineer is not a bad idea too. As engineers are professionals are are very trained in that particular field.
If I am to build a house or any minor structure, I will not bother myself to employ an engineer. I will just call on those experienced bricklayers that have seen their past records and I trust them to a do a clean job for me.