Make Money By Selling Handmade Products

Mika

VIP Contributor
Craft Is Art

What can you sell: Handmade items, non-handmade items, vintage items, fine art,

Pros: No sales or listing fees, sell unlimited items, receive payment instantly (if you buy a premium membership)

Cos: Pay subscription fees ($7.99 per month, or $79.99 per year) for a premium subscription, or for a basic account, pay a listing fee of 15 cents per product as well as a sales commission of 5.5 percent

Artful Home

What can you sell: apparel, shoes, jewelry, decor items, art, etc.

Pros: You don’t have to market your products, they will handle everything for you from marketing to shipping your product.

Cons: They will review your application manually, they take a long time to reply (12-14 weeks), and they also take 50 percent commission on sales

Not On The High Street

What you can sell: They have been around since 2010. You can sell food items, flowers, jewelry, outdoor items, greeting cards, children's items (toys, gift baskets, etc.), photography, art, etc.

Pros: They market products for artisans and creative and help them grow as a small business owner. They have a one-time joining fee.

Cons: Available only for UK-based artist.

Jasmine

VIP Contributor
Nicely reviewed. This review will help people determine whether these platforms are appropriate to use or not. For example, Not On The High Street seem to be a good marketplace for selling hand made items, even food items, however, I am not based in the UK and I cannot use this marketplace to do my business. Likewise, Artful Home also looks a nice platforms to sell your hand made items but since they manually review your application, and if they don't select you, you have no option to work with them. Why should you use a platform where your application will be screened, why not use a platform where you can use straight away. Craft Is Art is undoubted a good marketplace to sell but look at the major disadvantage of using it. You will not only have to pay for subscription fees but also listing fees. Based on the review I have read here, I think Etsy is far better.

Shaf

Verified member
This is a good way for artisans to make money online from their crafts. I love that most of the sites offer to market your products for you. This eases a lot of burden on one.

Another cons of this would also be region. I believe this will work well only for tier one countries and not tier three countries like mine. Or they usually have payment methods like PayPal which is not supported in a lot of countries.

I wanted to purchase something from Etsy, but the shipping fees from the artisan's location to mine far exceeded the actual price if what I wanted. This is something that if looked into can broaden their market.

One way I think those of us in third tier countries can overcome these limitations is by having our own online marketplace for such goods. There are people who can create even better works than what we see online, but they have no medium to market their product. Having such a site will help them.

E

eldavis

Hand skills or as some would prefer calling it handcraft, is one of the best ways to make money, especially now that there are no jobs out there. I know of a friend who is good at making shoes, he is currently making lots of money form it. He is currently working on having his own personal brand, and as well creating a strong online presence for himself. There are other hand skills one can also learn to start up something for themselves, some of which includes tailoring, baking etc.

Ithedicious

Valued Contributor
Even if I have to engage in this business it will definitely be on my spare time because I cannot be depending on this business as my only means of survival. I will be going to my normal work whiIe doing this business on my spare time because that is just the only way to do it.
And i think the most suitable time for me to engage in this business will likely be in the evening which everybody will eventually comes back from work and maybe the possibility of me getting people to buy this product will be higher.

Well I won't really have any problem with this business , as long as I am able to make reasonable profit because that is my own point of consideration I can't engage in something that is not profitable. And also the time for me to be traveling to buy these product may not be available.