Manager’s Guide to Managing Corporate Lay-offs and Downsizing

Holicent

VIP Contributor
Lay-offs, downsizing and job cuts are always a difficult situation for managers to manage. They have to find a way of making sure that everyone is treated fairly, while at the same time respecting the rights of employees. This can be done by having a clear written policy in place that outlines what you want your company to stand for and how it will treat its employees. You should also have a system in place so that everyone knows what they need to do if they are laid off or downsized.

The best way to manage corporate layoffs is by having a set of guidelines or policies in place that outline your company’s policies regarding layoffs, downsizing and job cuts. If these guidelines are clear and transparent, then it will help prevent any confusion or misunderstandings about what is happening with your company’s workforce.

When writing these policies, make sure that they are easy for everyone to understand and follow along with. This will ensure that no employee feels like they were treated unfairly when it comes time for them to be laid off or downsized from their job position.

You should also make sure that your policies are communicated clearly within the company so that all employees know exactly what they need to do if this happens.

Jasz

VIP Contributor
Lay-offs and downsizing are difficult for any organization to handle. The process is messy, emotional and expensive, but it's necessary if the organization wants to be successful.

The first step in managing lay-offs and downsizing is to understand why you're doing it. This can be done by asking yourself the following questions:

1. What is my goal? Is this a temporary situation or does this need to become a permanent part of my company's strategy?

2. How will I know when it's time to stop doing this? Will I be able to tell when my employees start looking elsewhere for work? If so, how long will that take?

3. What tools do I have at my disposal? What kind of resources do I have available to help with this process? Can they help me manage it better? If not, what other options do I have?

4. Who should lead the process — myself or someone else?"