Raising pigeon for racing and meat

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
The pigeon is a tame bird that is easy to take care of. As long as it has a place to perch and food every day then it will grow and multiply if there is a pair of male and female. When I was young the pigeons are the toys of the kids. But now there is the sport called racing pigeon that increased the value of the pigeons.

IMG_0536 alex twink perch.JPG prigeon
.The rock pigeon in the picture above is one of the common breed for racing. The birds are trained before the compete in the racing because the distance covered sometimes takes the pigeons several days for them to come back to their home. With 5 pairs of pigeon you can earn good money with the young when you sell. Pigeons are also bought for their meat so it is up to you which business to go – racing or the meat.

arunima25

Verified member
Oh! I didn't know that pigeons are in demand for meat too. Here we had a circular few years back to discourage feeding pigeons as they could be carriers for many diseases. Pigeons are urban birds and we see them in plenty here. I was unaware that this bird could also be reared commercially. Pigeons meat is not in demand here and I know of no one who eats that. I have not seen them being available in any stores either.

Mika

VIP Contributor
In our county, pigeon racing was very popular in the past but these days due to the rise of internet-based entertainment, pigeon racing is not very common. In rural areas, pigeon is also popular meat but in urban areas, pigeon meat is less common. Some people strictly avoid pigeon mean because these birds are also offered in temples.

arunima25

Verified member
In our county, pigeon racing was very popular in the past but these days due to the rise of internet-based entertainment, pigeon racing is not very common. In rural areas, pigeon is also popular meat but in urban areas, pigeon meat is less common. Some people strictly avoid pigeon mean because these birds are also offered in temples.
With the Internet invading every aspect of life, things have changed a lot everywhere. Even rural areas are no more untouched by technology as Internet has become a household thing. Many traditional games and entertainment are no more in trend or are not so popular anymore. I remember in our native when we were young, they had rooster fights in the evening and it was a great entertainer. I remember going there with my grandfather and enjoying it. People paid to see that thrilling fight. Now it is no more in practice and many who had this as a family business have resorted to other forms of livelihood.

btaliat

VIP Contributor
Pigeons in my country are raised for prayer and rearing purpose and not really for sport. But I do like it when I read about his some people in another countries are trying to make money from what others don't even see as a means of making money. It shows that we need to be innovative and also think above others while trying to make money. And thanks to the internet, it has really helped.

arunima25

Verified member
Pigeons in my country are raised for prayer and rearing purpose and not really for sport. But I do like it when I read about his some people in another countries are trying to make money from what others don't even see as a means of making money. It shows that we need to be innovative and also think above others while trying to make money. And thanks to the internet, it has really helped.
That is very true. The Internet has exposed us to a vast world and we learn so many things that we might have not imagined. I stay in a city where there is a huge population of pigeons and these birds have become a real menace for residents. In fact, no one would imagine rearing a bird that is overpopulated and is found everywhere. But then what happens in another country can not be duplicated everywhere. Business ideas come from the geography and culture of the place too.