Religion for pensioners

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
I have noticed in the nearby church where elders dominate the number. Even the volunteer workers are seniors including one of the choirs. One officer of a church group said that religion is the occupation of old people because that gives them hope. It is like when nearing your end you will hold on to whatever you can find.

I understand that religion is the opium of the masses. It can give us hope even if we are not sure if what the religious leaders are saying are all true. Nevertheless the point of this discussion is the benefit that religion can give the seniors who have no occupation to speak of. The mere membership in a religious group is already a benefit. You gain new friends and you can join the activities. I think those are the plus factor for focusing on religion when you get to that age.

Augusta

VIP Contributor
I think apart from having friends and having other fun activities to do with religious places, one can also start a little business or learn a skill too from such places. I know in my own parish there are some times skill acquisition is organized for the elderly so that they can still have what to do. Untill one is dead working not actively shouldn't stop