Should an organization's manager resign when he/ she has failed?

Etini

Valued Contributor
Every organization has goals. And the mangers of such organizations are tasked with meeting the set goals of that organization. In a situation where under the leadership of a manager, the organization fails to meet the set goals, does it call for the resignation of the manager? In the Western world, it is common for managers to step down after failing to reach a particular target. In a way, that may seem as cowardice. That is giving up in the midst of failure. I think a manager should stay put and try to work things out instead of running away.

Is stepping down or resigning the best thing to do by a manager in the case of failure? This is very common of football managers. They give up and throw in the towel at the slightest disappointing outing. They claim it is a sign of incompetence when there is a failure. Is this right?

Jasz

VIP Contributor
The answer to this question is yes.
When an organization's manager has failed, he/ she should resign. This is because the organization will not be able to have a successful future if the manager stays in position any longer. The organization will not be able to make any improvements if it does not have a new manager who can lead them into making changes and building their future from nothing into something much better than what they had before.

The reason why many managers keep their positions even after they have failed is because they think that they are still able to do something with what they know or what they have learned in their career. In most cases, this is not true. They may still be able to do something but it will take them longer than it would have taken them if there were no failures at all! This means that even though these people may have failed at some point in their lives, there will always be some good things about them which can help other people and organizations in the future.

Etini

Valued Contributor
@Jasz are you saying managers should not be given second chances after failing? What happened to rise again after you fall? I am not countering you o. I just feel people should be tried over and over again before being written off. I am not a fan of writing someone off so quickly.

I understand the fact that business doesn't have that luxury for one person to do trial and error. It may amount to losses for the business but there should be safety nets before firing a manager for failed goals. I have seen cases of failed managers transform and turn it around in subsequent trials. They have learned from their mistakes. The managers that should be fired immediately are the ones who repeats the same mistakes over and over again. In my native Nigeria, it is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a failed manager to resign.