The role of Career Counselors in Choosing the right Career/Educational Path.

In the developed world, many choose a career path as early as they can read, talk and write their names. In the developing world, many people are stranded after the university with a degree in a field which they have no interest in pursuing a career in nor do they have any idea of how to secure a good job. The disparity in the outcome of citizens in these two worlds is evident in the structure and implementation of the curriculum from the prenursery to the University level.
A career counsellor is someone who helps people make the most in the planning and decision making process to a perfect career path suited to the persons needs.
Career Counseling is a process through which you get to know and understand yourself and the world of work in order to make educational, career and life decisions.

Career development is more than just deciding on a major in the University and what job you want to get when you graduate. It is rather a lifelong process, meaning that throughout your life you will change, situations will change and change you as well, and you will continually have to make career and life decisions. The goal of Career Counseling is not only to help you make the decisions you need to make now, but to give you the knowledge and skills you need to make future career and life decisions.
The question that arises every time we talk about Career Counseling is, at what level of education do we need to introduce career Counselors in the developing world. It is true that this would vary from nation to nation but one thing remains clear. The success and strength of the working force in every nation directly affects the nations economy, therefore, whether a people are called to be predominantly business inclined, doctors, teachers, engineers or towards any other career path, the earlier this path is discovered and pursued the better for the nation. Gone are the days when education was gotten for the sake or the name of holding a degree; of what good is a degree if it cannot build a nation and feed its people?
The services of Career counselors should be introduced at the earliest stage of the education ladder of every nation, with that, we are certain the future of every developing nation is secure . Counselling should also be included as a Faculty or department in all is not most institutions of higher learning. With this, we are sure our streets would not be littered with jobless and inept graduates who know not how to help themselves in this wild world of unemployment.

Good-Guy

VIP Contributor
I think career counselors could be playing a crucial role in the management of career of several people. Most of the career counselor sin my city are also hired by the management of many universities. They tend to provide advice to students and try to guide them about their career choices, despite the fact that most of the students choose their own career in my country. This is a good step by the University because most of the time, students are not aware about what kind of path to choose and a career counselors advice is to be concerned, as it may prove to be helpful.

Calebe

I think career counselors could be playing a crucial role in the management of career of several people. Most of the career counselor sin my city are also hired by the management of many universities. They tend to provide advice to students and try to guide them about their career choices, despite the fact that most of the students choose their own career in my country. This is a good step by the University because most of the time, students are not aware about what kind of path to choose and a career counselors advice is to be concerned, as it may prove to be helpful.
Thanks Good guy, that is the very reason why we recommend an earlier introduction of Career counsellors. At the university, leaners choose what they would study before being admitted in the University, they do not choose an option while there. To avoid learners studying things which have no relevance to their career , Counsellors need to be encountered before they write their final GSSE . Career counselling needs to be introduced in the curriculum of our universities as a department on its own , we have few Career Counsellors, that being the raison d'etre behind the limited effect their function is having in the lives of most people who need their services. They seem to appear after a lot of time has been wasted and also a lot of havoc caused..

Bookwormlux

Valued Contributor
It is true that they have leading role to play in how they influence people to choose different career paths in life, but the fact still remains that they only give you advice based on their own experience which is mostly outdated and not up-to-date with what is currently happening in the developed and modern world today...

Caramelle

Career counselling should start, at the latest, in the junior high school years of learners because at this time, they have to make a decision on what track to pursue in their senior high school education. The senior high school tracks are preparatory courses for their college education. The Education Department in my country conducts diagnostic and assessment tests to determine students' aptitude and help them decide on the course that will suit their abilities and inclination.

It's not uncommon for young people to make academic decisions based on what's popular among their friends without giving considerations to their natural talents and potentials. Their parents may also take it upon themselves to decide on their children's career options. A professional career counselor is trained to help people identify their potentials and make appropriate educational choices to achieve their career plans. They can provide an objective assessment of a person's aptitude and personal traits to help them make reasonable educational decisions.

Professional counselling may also work for people who are already working and having doubts about their chosen career or professionals who are considering a change in occupation. They can provide guidance to help their clients maximize their career potentials or advance in their current positions.​

E

eldavis

It's a pity that most countries today do not understand the importance of a counselor. The counselor is actually ment to guild and advice you on the right choice to make in terms of your future and education. I remember back then in school, secondary school to be exact, we had a counselor but we rarely visited them even my self included. The few times I found myself in their office was because my late coming was becoming too much lol.

moonchild

VIP Contributor
The role counsellors play is very important in the choices we make regarding our careers, I remembered when i was still in secondary school I faced a difficulty in choosing the course I am going to study, because i was never given guidance and counselling while I was still a junior, this could have go a long way in ensuring I made a good choice.

But now, I can understand clearly who I am and what I want, but this is for others that struggle all their lives trying to figure out what they want and how they can get there, most of the times some people never do, especially in third world countries.

It's even crazy here in Nigeria, because even if you have counselling and have a defined path on where you want to go, it is solely dependent on on an examination, you'll be give a course to study that you have no interest in.

Good luck

Verified member
Having the right guidance or counsellor in choosing a course of study is not a bad idea.it is very important for you to have someone that will always guide you when it comes to academic things.A lot of people have failed in life due to wrong choice of course they studied in the higher institution of learning and up to this moment they are still regretting their actions.People always make sure they sort for an expert in what they are about to engage in so as to always have back.This counselor function as their mentor to always put them through at times.

Jasz

VIP Contributor
Career counselors can help you make decisions about your career. They can also help you figure out if a particular job or educational program is right for you.

A career counselor is someone who provides guidance to people in their careers and educations. They can help you decide what to do with your life, figure out what career path might be best for you, and even help you find jobs and internships. Career counselors work with people from all different walks of life, including high school students, college students, adults who are trying to switch careers or launch new ones, and even individuals who are planning their retirement.

The role of a career counselor is to provide services that help clients identify their strengths, weaknesses and interests so they can choose careers or programs that will lead them toward success. A counselor will also provide feedback on resumes or cover letters so that clients can present themselves in the best possible light when applying for jobs or internships. Counselors may also help clients develop interview skills so they can perform well in interviews with potential employers.

Many people visit career counselors because they have no idea what they want to do with their lives, but others visit because they're having trouble deciding between two different paths.