Why it is wrong to read a course just to leave home.

Etini

Valued Contributor
This is a common practice in Nigeria and other African countries. I know it also happens in Ghana. I don't know if it happens in the western world. After high school, the next step is to apply for admission to colleges and universities for those who wish to advance academically.

Some of these young ones don't meet up with the admission requirements of the courses they wanted to study deep down in their hearts. At this point, I advise those kids to rewrite the qualifying examination and try to meet up with the requirements for that course they so badly wanted.b

Some of them out of lack of confidence and desperation would go ahead to take courses that were presented as options since they couldn't meet up with the requirements for their course of choice. I think you are setting up yourself in a career path you don't have a deep-seated love for. And you won't find satisfaction in that course. You would see someone that wanted to study medicine and surgery now studying biology.

I think it is better you wait and get the course of your choice.

E

eldavis

Well it mainly depends on the individual. I believe everyone have a reason why they do the things they do, i know of some persons who decided to pick up the course that was presented to them as a second option due to the fact that they feel they are running out of time. Probably they feel they are too old to remain at home. Most persons in Nigeria decide to take this optional course not cause they do not have the confidence that they can meet the required score, rather they take it because it is very hard to gain admission in Nigerian universities. Most times even when you meet up with the required score, they would still give you another course. It has happened to me before. Some do not even gain admission at all after meeting up with the required score.

Etini

Valued Contributor
@eldavis the challenge to this is that we have too many people in Nigerian universities reading courses they don't like. They come out and become professionals in careers they don't even fancy, talk more of liking. And the frustration of this all is poured on the innocent members of the public.

I strongly advocate that a person should go and read the course he had always wanted to read. That course that had been his/ her fetish. It is easier for the person that way. I was offered mathematics in a Nigerian university during my admission-seeking days. Amidst the pressure, I turned it down because I was an average maths student at best. I know of friends that went Head to read the course and today they are nig happy with themselves. I still stand on my advocacy. Go to your fetish course. It makes your professional life interesting for you.

E

eldavis

@eldavis the challenge to this is that we have too many people in Nigerian universities reading courses they don't like. They come out and become professionals in careers they don't even fancy, talk more of liking. And the frustration of this all is poured on the innocent members of the public.

I strongly advocate that a person should go and read the course he had always wanted to read. That course that had been his/ her fetish. It is easier for the person that way. I was offered mathematics in a Nigerian university during my admission-seeking days. Amidst the pressure, I turned it down because I was an average maths student at best. I know of friends that went Head to read the course and today they are nig happy with themselves. I still stand on my advocacy. Go to your fetish course. It makes your professional life interesting for you.
I agree with you on this though. i think proper awareness need to be made by teachers and schools before releasing these kids. Every school is actually suppose to have a counselor that would guild the kids on their career part. Cause truth be told, these days people no longer go for courses they have a passion for, they just go for what they feel they can make money with, while others just accept any course they throw at them so they can get a university degree.