Why kids should learn financial responsibility at a young age.

Etini

Valued Contributor
Today, I took my daughter to go braid her hair. The girl that braids my daughter's hair should be about 8, max 10 years old. The gist is that she couldn't braid my daughter's hair today because we were last in the queue. She was jumping from one person to another braiding hair and getting paid. All this she did by a corner in her father's compound.

I was lost in thoughts on how much this small girl makes and she is not yet a teenager. All because she had developed a skill that would help her earn something. I can bet that girl won't lack anything she needs for her age because of this skill. It is important that as we send our kids to school, we should also encourage and help them to build skills that can attract monetary value. It is not bad for a 10-year-old child to start earning money. It would help him/her in the future.

Heartstrings

That's very commendable and I am impressed,it's true that kids should learn financial responsibility but I personally I won't let my own child to start working for her money at that tender age,I will work hard and still be providing for her. Actually it's a good thing because such children will have what to use for their basic needs and save if opportuned,but it depends on what everyone wants and how they wants to train their child.

Some children would make a better off it and make you proud, while some would take advantage of it in a negative way,start keeping things from you,buy whatever they need even when you the parents know the child is not supposed to have such. There are some children that when used to having a lot of money they can go to any length just to have cash,both male and female child. So whoever wants such lifestyle for their children (making money of their own) should be ready to activate more training, instinct and monitoring,never allow a child to do whatever they want without guiding them through.

Carpon

Valued Contributor
I always remember a small quote that my teacher in secondary school refers to when talking. He says he earlier the better. This applies in virtually every situation and the earlier something is being done, the better. In financial education, this also applies. The earlier you teach someone how to stay independent and take care of some needs without directly depending on somebody else, the better it will be.

Something about childhood is that most of the characters and attitude learnt at that stage are like marks that are non erasable.

So I so much advocate for this and vote that kids should be introduced to so many things that are related to financing and it should be done wisely and responsibly because there are some knowledge that if you give to kids, it may rather than being beneficial to them, have grievous effects and consequences on them in their future life.

Bisolami

Verified member
Today, I took my daughter to go braid her hair. The girl that braids my daughter's hair should be about 8, max 10 years old. The gist is that she couldn't braid my daughter's hair today because we were last in the queue. She was jumping from one person to another braiding hair and getting paid. All this she did by a corner in her father's compound.

I was lost in thoughts on how much this small girl makes and she is not yet a teenager. All because she had developed a skill that would help her earn something. I can bet that girl won't lack anything she needs for her age because of this skill. It is important that as we send our kids to school, we should also encourage and help them to build skills that can attract monetary value. It is not bad for a 10-year-old child to start earning money. It would help him/her in the future.
I think it depends on the home training that the girl has and that is why you see a lot of young children who are making so much money that adults are not even making at times.

There are some parents who serve has motivations for their children and they serve as watch word for their children when it comes to making money and also managing how to spend their money so that they are not going to spend money recklessly.

It will be good if every parent can motivate their child to make money right from small and it will even give them the stress of working to feed their children all the time.

Yusra3

Banned
Instilling strong financial values in children while young helps cement positive money management habits before bad behaviors form. Allowing kids to earn, budget and save even small sums gives them hands-on experience with core concepts like delayed gratification, prioritizing needs vs wants, and achieving goals through discipline. Mastering personal finance early leads to increased stability and security throughout life.