Can you get a job by just knowing someone in the HR department?

Jasz

VIP Contributor
This is a tough question to answer. First of all, it depends on the size of your company and the position you're applying for. If you're applying for a management position, then I would say it's unlikely that you'd get a job by just knowing someone in HR.

If you're looking at smaller firms or start-ups, it's possible that someone in HR could give you a recommendation if they knew you well enough and felt that your skills were a good fit for the company. But even then, this would depend on whether or not they felt they could trust you with confidential information about their clients or customers. This is because HR usually only places people who have already proven themselves with previous employers. It's not like they will just employ you without any experience or benefit, whatsoever.

Augusta

VIP Contributor
The truth is that a lot of jobs people get now is always through connections and I wonder why?

some people employed their persons to occupy spaces that ordinarily they are not qualified for this is the power of knowing someone somewhere or having the right connections so to your question yes you can get a job if you know somebody in the HR. I think this works almost everywhere in the world well from my own experience it is one way of getting a good job here in my country and it's appalling.
all the same it is always still good to have the qualification for the kind of job you want in case you are favoured to be employed by a total stranger but if you ask me more than 90% of people have gotten jobs is through one connection or the other so getting a job for me and HR person is a very normal thing..