Challenges of renting a home

Augusta

VIP Contributor
When you are looking to rent a place you need to know that it comes with it own challenges so you need to look at the challenges and know you would have to overcome them.
You would face the challenge of rent price not being fixed. So you have to expect some increase after a while

You need to know that they might be unexpected costs for repairs. Landlord want to do some routine repairs that might need your financial inputs.

You would face the challenge of some landlords not allowing you to have pets. There might not want Pets in their buildings so this will one challenge for pet lovers.

Another challenge one face with rent is that one will be at the mercy of one's landlord for maintenance, cost, and stability. So if they are not ready at that time for such you have to keep waiting till they are ready.

What are other challenges with renting?

Yusra3

Banned
The decision to rent a home or buy a home is not always easy. Buying a home requires a lot of hard work and long-term planning, while renting a home requires patience and commitment. When you rent a home, you have to make sure that it meets your needs and wants before you even sign the lease. Before signing the lease, make sure that you are aware of the terms of your contract and what you will be required to pay. You should also ask about the property's history and what updates have been made. A lot of people end up regretting renting when they find out that their landlord was not doing repairs that were promised.

Another biggest challenges is finding a home that you like and is affordable. If you find a home that you love, but it is too expensive, you could always make an offer on the house and see if the seller accepts it. If the seller accepts your offer, you will have to sign a contract, which will have all of the terms of the sale written out for you. You will also have to pay for inspections and other fees that come with buying a house.

Heartstrings

Renting a house comes with so much challenges. The rent price will be one of the challenges as you stated,why because I have had such experience,when we rented a house,the price was fixed,we packed in and just after 2 yrs,the landlord increased it by N50,000. The landlord has never a day fixed anything in the house ever since we packed in,we fix any needed things.that needs repair.

The landlord also never allow us to have any pets,be it hens or whatever. He also do complain of opening the gate always,like you can't go out and come in as you wish and especially visitors visiting,that's how he will be shouting who's there? Who are you looking for? Infact there are so many challenges and this landlords can frustrate you to the extend of you wishing to have your own house soon. And the thing is,one can not entirely be free from challenges,it will definitely come sooner or later.

Etini

Valued Contributor
I am going to be speaking from the point of view of a landlord and a tenant. I am a landlord and a tenant at the same time. I see everyone here complaining about landlords but tenants can be so terrible. I had a tenant that practically frustrated my life and made me want to leave my property. In the end, she left with 6 months' rent.
Now from the tenant's point of view, I can't ever rent a house that the landlord is staying there. It is natural for the landlord to want to protect himself and his property. And anyhow he goes about doing it, he is right. As for the challenges of repairs in a property I stay in, if the repairs are on something that my usage caused its damage, I would fix it. If it is something that depreciated normally and its lifespan is due, then the landlord repairs them.

Augusta

VIP Contributor
Lol you wrote that people are just writing about bad landlords this is because In most bad situation when it has to do with problems most times it emanate most from the landlord. Okay look at your own statement you wrote that you wouldn't want to live in the same compound as the landlord.Wht? because of the abuse of power by this landlords.

Someone will wsnt to frustrate your life because you rented an apartment from the person this is always the abuse of power and we need to put an end to this
Now I wouldn't condole the bad tenants because they abound too but I just want to write that landlords should be more about their rent than other things. if one isn't paying the rent then by all means go after the person but if it other minor issues that can be resolved amicably then let it go and iron things out with time.