Earning money from home, disadvantages

diana1

In addition to its benefits, working from home can come with several drawbacks including:

• Increased isolation
  • Home office costs
  • Risk of overworking
  • Risk to productivity
  • Distractions at home
  • Workplace disconnect
  • Disproportionate work-life balance
  • Less face time

E

eldavis

I think the issue of distraction has been sorted out by most persons who work form home. To prevent distractions, most of them simply create a space for their work alone, they don't have to actually do any fancy preparation, but just a small space only them have access to.

Wiserr

As we all know that everything that has advantage must have a disadvantage, so this just the little out of it, in addition when you are working from home you'll face lot's of challenges from difference angles maybe from your friends or family members.

sincerem

VIP Contributor
I don't see any distraction in my online gig, I work full-time online, even if I have siblings, they don't distract me when I am around with them. Online gigs can be done in your private room, where no one disturbs you, you don't need friends all the time, to avoid distractions too.

I don't work efficiently or swiftly when I have someone beside me and talking all the time. I love peaceful atmosphere where I'll be alone and talking with my phone, which is doing my online gigs. I know that, my time online limits my outdoor life, making me staying indoors most of the time. I even prefer it that way, due to the nature of offline, coupled with covid 19 and lack of job opportunities.

Instead of going about for nothing, it is better to engage in one online gig to another to make money, use my time well to learn other important things online to keep me updated and living more smarter which opens doors for more future opportunities. If I do associate with people offline, I wouldn't achieve all this tasks, the reason why I am earning something okay online is due to my indoor life.

Caramelle

The merging of the home space with the workspace may bring confusion to people who are just starting to work online. Living and working in the same space will blur the boundaries between home and work in many cases, especially in the case of those who were forced to work from home due to circumstances beyond their control such as forced lockdowns during the pandemic. However, these are usually just initial challenges and with time, they can sort things out and find their rhythm. People who opted to work from home, in fact, see more advantages in not having to leave the house for work. Most will dedicate a space or corner for work that's free from distractions.​

Abigael

Valued Contributor
These are truly the disadvantages of working online from home. It for sure isolates you from the world outside home. Working offline usually makes you interact with so many people in the office or in the field. But when working from home, you are just alone. Maybe you can only socialize with people online only.

Another disadvantage comes when there are many distractions around you. Maybe you have children who are always playing and shouting. Or you have noisy neighbors who put their music really loud. Another scenario is the distractions that hinder you from working such as desire to watch TV and movies. It will take so much self discipline to work despite those distractions.

Another disadvantage is when you live in a rural area where internet connection is so poor. I faced this problem for a long time before buying my new phone that has better internet connection.

AuthorityGuide

The disadvantages of earning money from home:
  • Partial Isolation
  • Difficult to concentrate
  • A lack of communication and competition
  • More unexpected distractions
  • Power naps
  • Stress
  • Unbalanced eating.
  • Overworking

Chibson

VIP Contributor
The advantages of making money at the comfort of your home outweighs the disadvantages. it is better for me to work at the comfort of my home and make good amount of money on daily basis instead of doing nine-to-five jobs that comes with fixed amount of income on monthly basis. The truth is that everything that have an advantage also have a disadvantage but in this scenario it is really much better for me to be working at the comfort of my home and whenever I feel lonely I would take a stroll than to do 9 to 5 jobs. Someone that taught me affiliate marketing last year said that he can sit at a place for over 15 hours doing some online works such as freelancing and affiliate marketing. the truth is that sometimes working at home can be lonely and you may not really have the opportunity to meet people but when you consider the monetary aspect and the freedom it can give you then you would really have no other choice. if you really want to work online then you must be very disciplined in order not to be distracted by a lot of other activities.

Richee84

Working from home is a good way to make money at one's convenient as it is see as an informal way to work while making money. Most people will prefer to work from home and get pay to avoid the stress of going out and get stress out everyday. Just as working from home has it own advantages of it also have many disadvantages that is attached it. One of such disadvantages of working from home.
Laziness can be one of the results of working at home; the act of been lazy can come into someone life as the people might not take the work so serious since he or she is doing the work at the comfort of his or her home. One tend to be more serious when going out to work and performing a formal work.
Another disadvantages of working at home is that it cut out the connection between the customers u are working for. Connecting with people has it own great advantage in place of work, working at home will not allow those working at home to fully know there customers or who they are actually working for in real life. Knowing your customers at times gives one edge over your competitors.

TOZZIBLINKZ

VIP Contributor
You've actually said it all making money online has advantages but its disadvantages which is what you mentioned above are totally true. One of which I know the most is isolation making money online is good because you don't have to live under the Shadow of anyone to earn a living do you make money from the comfort of your home without any hindrance but yet , isolation comes with working at home human beings need face-to-face interaction and because we are living things we have to communicate staying in the computer at home all day even though for monetary reasons deprive you of such benefits.

Another disadvantage is which you've not mentioned above is that walking home all alone if at any case you maybe working with a computer system could result to dehumanizing effects to the human body a good example is eye strain , bad posture could also result as a result of sitting working on a computer all day .

In most cases people who might this like working on my computer or na living by staying at home working all day might not have a choice, sometimes beer nature of employment could be home-based so in cases like this it is advisable to keep certain time in which you can go outside

Rachael

Verified member
Earning money from home can be more or less distracting depending on your environment. I am someone who cannot function properly or concentrate in a noisy area. When I first had an online gig, I was always distracted each time and this was due to the fat that, I use a mo bile phone and each time I receive a notification from my social media handle, I would always want to find out what is actually going on there and this is how my time would be whiled away without being able to be productive. There is nothing as distracting also as living in a noisy environment. I live close to a factory where woods are being produced and the noise alone that comes from the factory is enough to raise a dead man from the grave. This has been my two major distractions. Concerning the distractions from siblings, I can always handle that by being rigid with them anytime I want to work but in all of these, I still prefer working from home. Another disadvantage with earning money from home is the level of procrastination. There are some people that needs adequate push button before they can be motivated to successfully work online in a day.

niche

Verified member
Large companies and corrupt officials take advantage of the isolation to exploit people working from home. Additionally many websites have very less work available, do not pay as promised, so time is wasted.

Ithedicious

Valued Contributor
Yes , since I concentrate most of the time online , one of my greatest challenges I have been facing so far is the fact that I am always distracted , most especially if I have to make some money at home and is one of the things I have been trying all my possible means to avoid.

Most of the distraction is mainly from family members and sometimes friends depending on where I am..

Yes , the possibility of overworking is very much possible most especially if you have opportunity to be working whenever it suits you. In that case it can easily be controlled to some extent because you can decide to spend only a certain amount of time In a day or to have a target of the amount of money you are interested to make on daily basis , this will save you the stress of having to work too much.

Rubz

As much as working at home has a lot of advantages, it also has disadvantages as well. One of the major disadvantage of working at home is you might face a lot of distractions. One's home is one's comfort zone, there are a lot of things that could distract one when working at home like Tv, sleep, children if one has any and a lot more. Another disadvantage of working at home is that one might end up overworking one's self. When one works in an office or a shop, one's working time is defined whereas, at home, one's working time or working hour is not defined and one may end up working his or her self.

sincerem

VIP Contributor
What @Ithedicious said is the simple truth, family members, friends can distract alot. One of the notable challenges I'm facing as an online worker is the fact that, family members and my peers doesn't give me the kind of concentration I want. They'll just be talking and before you know my friend will be around to share some time with me. And I wouldn't say no, or trying to avoid such kind of friend, I'll just have to give em attention. I'll try to move out to a different location where I'll be alone with no friends, we'll only see when I want it and not seeing unexpectedly. I don't like distractions, online gigs doesn't need distraction, unless you don't want to spend time doing something meaningful that brings reasonable. Then, you can welcome friends, and family distractions anytime since you're just doing online gigs when you feel like doing it and not your primary means of earning.

LoukiaCharilaou

Valued Contributor
I totally agree with everything you mention in your interesting thread. Working from home can come with several disadvantages indeed. However, I believe that it is better to work from home because there are so many advantages.

First of all, you can work from the comfort of your own house wearing comfortable and casual clothes. Second, you work alone without a boss over your head checking your work, making complaints and remarks and pushing you to work harder and harder causing you stress in this way. Third, when you work from home, you can have flexible working hours, so you can arrange your daily schedule as you wish. This means that you can spend more time with your family and friends or simply do your hobbies.

For all these reasons, I prefer working and earning money from home despite the disadvantages that may arise. I would not change it with any other job. Of course, it is left to you to decide what you would like to do.

King bell

VIP Contributor
There are disadvantages to working from home, but the most important thing is to weigh those against what you might be losing by not working. Working from home offers many advantages in comparison to an office job. You can make your own hours, dress as you please and chances are no one will bother you or try to give you lots of work while they're on a coffee break.

The disadvantages can include isolation, lack of interaction with others and an inability to be present when kids come home from school or if there's any emergency at your house. If this sounds like something that would bother you, then a remote job is probably not for you but it's worth giving it some thought before deciding one way or the other.

Depending on the type of work being done, an employee may need to be able to use the phone and other equipment to get the job done. For positions requiring a computer, employees may need to have certain software skills and internet access. If you can't set up a home office, can't afford the equipment or don't have reliable internet connections or are uncomfortable with telecommuting then working from a home office probably won't work out for you.