Farming Turkey Vs. Farming Chicken: Which One is More Profitable?

Mika

VIP Contributor
Turkey and chicken, both are popular birds for meat and eggs. Probably there is no country in the world where turkey and chicken are not commercially farmed. If you are in the farming profession or if you are based in rural areas, you might have seen people farming turkey or chicken, or perhaps you are considering farming chicken or turkey, or maybe you are already farming chicken and turkey.

In my country, turkey farming is a recent phenomenon; turkeys are being commercially farmed only in the past 10 years; however, chicken farming is very popular. I even have a lot of relatives who are into chicken farming.

Turkey meat fetches a better price compared to chicken meat, therefore, a lot of people are interested in turkey farming. However, turkey consumes more resources compared to chicken farming.

btaliat

VIP Contributor
Though the two serve the same purpose and the high demand for one will lead to the fall in the price of the others. With this, chicken stand a better chance of being bought in high demand compare to turkey. This may be because chicken is not as costly as turkey.

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
I think it was 10 years ago when there was a hype on raising turkey here. One resident in our village fenced a vacant lot to serve as his small turkey farm. But the farm did not last long. The owner said that the issue is not the raising but the lack of demand. Turkey meat is not attractive here unlike chicken which can be considered a staple meat like pork.

Mika

VIP Contributor
Interestingly, there is a growing demand for turkeys here, therefore, I consider this is one of the profitable agri-based businesses, for the farmers as well as meat sellers. Turkey meat fetches twice the price of chicken. However, the main issue is mortality. Turkeys are imported birds and they are finding hard to cope with the climate.

kayode10

VIP Contributor
If you ask me I would like to go for both Turkey and chicken farming. This is going to be possible for me if I managed to secure a large expanse of land to accommodate both chicken and turkey. Bit there is higher demand for chicken in my city than turkey. The reason is that chicken are very cheap and easy to get in the city.

MOSIUR

Suddenly, turkey farming has been very popular in our country. I used to ask people why it had been so popular. They answered that meats are so tasty to take. As a rumor spread here and there that turkey has been the result of cross connection of vulture. Though I was very eager to take its meat, I was unwilling to be near that. Now again, general chicken has been popular to many.

Jasmine

VIP Contributor
I like to eat chicken as well as turkey. If you are a farmer, why should you choose between these two, why can't you raise both. Well, I know nothing about poultry business, but I can advice on how to do a business. For instance, you need to do market research and check your competitors.

Jonaville

Of course, when it come to comparing the cost and efforts required to raise each of them, the resources that chicken will cost will be less than that of turkey. But then, turkey is bigger and can sell for like 2 to 3 times that of chicken. I believe any one is profitable.