How to deal with depression

Mika

VIP Contributor
I don't think #2 and #3 will actually work. When you have depression you cannot smile, if you try it will be a fake smile, when you fake a smile, the smile will not do any good. Position affirmations cannot help. There have been a lot of studies that suggest that positive affirmation actually makes the conditions worse.

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
My take on depression is to have someone to cheer you up every minute. In other words companionship is the best antidote for depression. I know of some depressed people who even went to the extent of attempting suicide. With companionship they were saved. Some of them have pets for the companion which is one of the best therapy.

Lens1000

VIP Contributor
I'm glad you mentioned seeing a doctor if needed. Sometimes people just go through rough patches where small thought and lifestyle changes can help, but it's important to recognise if the problem is beyond your control.
That's a nice shot! Sometimes , psychological approaches don't really work and if the situation gets worse , one need to see a doctor. Depression could be life threatening when it gets out of control and can lead to untimely death. It's very important to see a doctor if the situation gets out of hand and uncontrollably

Dora Wi

I'm glad you mentioned seeing a doctor if needed. Sometimes people just go through rough patches where small thought and lifestyle changes can help, but it's important to recognise if the problem is beyond your control.

sincerem

VIP Contributor
There is a clear difference between what you feel it should be and what it is really. I have gone through it and I know what it is , my points are not based on reading articles or speculations, it's a true life experience. I graduated from the university 2008, I never work for any company but I have established a company with many staffs, but all gone .
I understand that you're talking with experience, that's why you're here helping us with the information you experienced easier time. But the best way to treat stress is reducing the amount of workload, resting the body as at when due, and regular routine exercises to relieve the pressure. What really transpired that you lost all your staffs that worked for you??

Lens1000

VIP Contributor
Laughs, some of your points is hilarious, when it comes dealing with depression. Their are still some points you made which should be taking note of, and can help ease depression from us. When we are depressed after working stressfully, we ought to rest the body well and not smiling or trying to jump up and down, we're even increasing our depression severity.
There is a clear difference between what you feel it should be and what it is really. I have gone through it and I know what it is , my points are not based on reading articles or speculations, it's a true life experience. I graduated from the university 2008, I never work for any company but I have established a company with many staffs, but all gone .

Lens1000

VIP Contributor
I don't think #2 and #3 will actually work. When you have depression you cannot smile, if you try it will be a fake smile, when you fake a smile, the smile will not do any good. Position affirmations cannot help. There have been a lot of studies that suggest that positive affirmation actually makes the conditions worse.
Let's forget about research and studies . Have you ever experience one? If you really know what it feels like to be depressed, you will agree with me that #2 and #3 really works. I have experienced a severe one before and I know what it mean. As a young man , I was very successful in my offline business, I have gathered properties that's worth millions and all of a sudden everything gone . It's a story for another day

Chibson

VIP Contributor
I have gone through depression before and I can really say that it is a very bad experience. It will make you think that you are going to die in the next minute and it will not give you the opportunity to forge ahead. There are some ways in which you can conquer depression and become free. One of the ways of conquering depression is engaging in some activities such as sports. another thing that can help you conquer depression is to travel out and see new things.

sincerem

VIP Contributor
Laughs, some of your points is hilarious, when it comes dealing with depression. Their are still some points you made which should be taking note of, and can help ease depression from us. When we are depressed after working stressfully, we ought to rest the body well and not smiling or trying to jump up and down, we're even increasing our depression severity.

Lens1000

VIP Contributor
Depression is what everyone goes through in life and it's is inevitable

That's ok, there are sad moments, and how do you know that you are happy when you haven't experienced sadness. Afteral, what is white without black. Even though you know that sadness is a part of life, let’s try to make it a small part of life.

That been said, there are tips that will help you recover when you are feeling down in the dumps

1. Stand up straight, sit up straight. When your body is in alignment your energy can flow and when your energy is flowing freely, you can flow.

2. Smile! Yes, just smile. Easy to do and effective.

3. Repeat positive affirmations. Things like “I feel good”, “Positive energy flows through my body”, “I see the good in all”.

4. Listen to some music that you like. It doesn’t have to be anything specific, just something you enjoy. Certain types of music work better than others, but experiment and see what works for you. Studies have shown that Classical music and new age music work best.

5. Take some time out for yourself, relax and read a book, do something for yourself.

6. Meditate. Meditation is an excellent habit to develop. It will serve you in all that you do. If you are one who has a hard time sitting still, then try some special meditation CDs that coax your brain into the meditative state. Just search for “Meditation music” on Google or Yahoo and explore.

On a final note, if you are in a deep depression that you can’t seem to shake, please go see a doctor. This is your life and don’t take any chances.

Bookwormlux

Valued Contributor
I have been depressed back in the days, especially when I was finding it hard to secure admission into the university despite having good grades. It is really not an easy period for anyone.
I used to listen to music very well that time to get some relief. I also pray to God always and commit what ever it is that is making me sad. This gives me peace of mind anytime I do it .

Augusta

VIP Contributor
We should always understand that we cannot get all we want in life . Our needs are insatiable and when we didn't meet up with certain things, depression sets in. Managing it is very important because whether we like it or not, it will surely come.if we can't manage it well, a serious health issue might set in and that could be detrimental
You are right some depression comes from trying to be like our next door neighbor, which is a wrong way to live life. Everything can’t be for everyone, so I realize this a long time ago. I only stick with what I deserved not what others want or have. Some things are not unnecessary.

Lens1000

VIP Contributor
Depression mostly sets in when we worry a lot. It is always good to take a break from whatever is the root cause of depression and focus on something positive. Then believe that nothing last forever so this too will pass. Smile at all that life as thrown at you and move on
We should always understand that we cannot get all we want in life . Our needs are insatiable and when we didn't meet up with certain things, depression sets in. Managing it is very important because whether we like it or not, it will surely come.if we can't manage it well, a serious health issue might set in and that could be detrimental

Lens1000

VIP Contributor
I believe depression comes as a result not meeting our expectations in certain areas of our lives or endeavours. The best way to deal with depression is to always have a positive mindset and be optimistic about future events in order to keep our sanity intact. Going out with friends and having fun is also another way of dealing with depression. This is because with friends around one, one would forget about his/her problems and also be encouraged by friends to forget about disappointments and look to a positive future.
That's exactly the cause of depression. It often comes whenever we feel disappointed in certain area of our lives. When our expectations are cut short , our mood will swing immediately and then, depression sets in. If we hangout with friends with positve thoughts, in no time we will be fine. You have raised an important point

Lens1000

VIP Contributor
J
I think we should engage ourselves in things that will make us happy. We can try to make friends and go out often. It's difficult to be always lonely while dealing depression. Or if we can't have plenty of friends or if we are not the people's type. I think we can engage in sports or some kinds of exercises. I think all these may help!

We should always do things that will lift our spirits. Things that will make us feel a bit better, we could visit friends or we can pick up our phone and starts watching funny videos on facebook. All these are things that will put our minds off whatever we might be thinking. It will make us feel better

Augusta

VIP Contributor
Depression is what everyone goes through in life and it's is inevitable

That's ok, there are sad moments, and how do you know that you are happy when you haven't experienced sadness. Afteral, what is white without black. Even though you know that sadness is a part of life, let’s try to make it a small part of life.

That been said, there are tips that will help you recover when you are feeling down in the dumps

1. Stand up straight, sit up straight. When your body is in alignment your energy can flow and when your energy is flowing freely, you can flow.

2. Smile! Yes, just smile. Easy to do and effective.

3. Repeat positive affirmations. Things like “I feel good”, “Positive energy flows through my body”, “I see the good in all”.

4. Listen to some music that you like. It doesn’t have to be anything specific, just something you enjoy. Certain types of music work better than others, but experiment and see what works for you. Studies have shown that Classical music and new age music work best.

5. Take some time out for yourself, relax and read a book, do something for yourself.

6. Meditate. Meditation is an excellent habit to develop. It will serve you in all that you do. If you are one who has a hard time sitting still, then try some special meditation CDs that coax your brain into the meditative state. Just search for “Meditation music” on Google or Yahoo and explore.

On a final note, if you are in a deep depression that you can’t seem to shake, please go see a doctor. This is your life and don’t take any chances.
Depression mostly sets in when we worry a lot. It is always good to take a break from whatever is the root cause of depression and focus on something positive. Then believe that nothing last forever so this too will pass. Smile at all that life as thrown at you and move on

IamDozzy

I believe depression comes as a result not meeting our expectations in certain areas of our lives or endeavours. The best way to deal with depression is to always have a positive mindset and be optimistic about future events in order to keep our sanity intact. Going out with friends and having fun is also another way of dealing with depression. This is because with friends around one, one would forget about his/her problems and also be encouraged by friends to forget about disappointments and look to a positive future.

Sherman198

VIP Contributor
I think we should engage ourselves in things that will make us happy. We can try to make friends and go out often. It's difficult to be always lonely while dealing depression. Or if we can't have plenty of friends or if we are not the people's type. I think we can engage in sports or some kinds of exercises. I think all these may help!