How to get a job teaching English in Korea

King bell

VIP Contributor
Teaching English abroad has many benefits, and this article is packed with tips on how to make it happen!

The first step of any job search is figuring out what you want. When thinking of applying for a job as an English teacher in Korea, first ask yourself:

How do I want to make money?
Where do I want to live?
How much money do I want to make?

Do you enjoy teaching, or are you the type of person who would rather be working indoors (or outside) in your free time? Do you enjoy your work environment or the people you work with at all times, or is it more important to love where you are living? Is teaching English worth all the work and stress that comes along with it, or have other hobbies (sports, traveling, etc. ) that you'd rather be doing? Do you have enough experience to be able to teach English in Korea, or do you want to get some experience first?

The last question is a big one. Most people who have never taught English abroad before will require a TESOL certificate and experience to be able to teach at an elementary school, high school, or university. These are all great places to start, but they are not for everyone.

If you are just entering the workforce for the first time, you may want to find a job that does not require much experience. Perhaps you could work at a private language institute as an assistant language teacher (ALT) or as a homestay host. These jobs also offer great opportunities for teachers who want to improve their skills and experience before applying for jobs that require teaching certifications and/or years of teaching .