How to handle employees older than you?

Bookwormlux

Valued Contributor
It is not uncommon to see a situation whereby all of the employees of a particular organisation or a company are usually older than the person who is heading that company.
Some company owners and ceos even go the extent of making sure that nobody who is older than them would be employed in the organisation no matter how skilled or knowledgeable the person is .

Most especially in some third world countries where such things like, respect for the old and other cultural beliefs are usually common , and it is then a struggle to be able to effectively handle people who are older than you in an organisation .
It is not very easy for you to quickly query them for any wrong that they have done or if they are defaulting in any aspect .

Though there are some people who do not really care about age differences, and will definitely be strict with anybody no matter how old the person is .

Finding myself in a situation like this, I will try as much as possible to make the rules and regulation very clear to the employees , and make it obvious to them that if they are not comfortable with it they could leave , because I wouldn't tolerate any wrong done simply because somebody is older than me.

What would you do if you found yourself in this situation?

In the Philippines age is a factor that can affect the relationship in the office. In the topic of this thread I have to agree that having a subordinate who is older by me (by 5 or more years) can be a problem when it comes to friendly relationship. A boss who is younger may not be acceptable to others. When I was recalled by my former employer I got out of retirement and worked again at age 44. My immediate boss is s woman who is 8 years younger than me. At first I was intimidated but come to think of it. I accepted the offer of the job because I need the salary and I also need the occupation. I was too young to retire. Anyway, I easily came to my senses that everything is done professionally so there is no need to be ashamed. Besides, my boss was kind and very courteous with me as if she is aware of our age gap. Until now that I have already retired and I am still friends with that boss.

Their are some employers who doesn't care about the age grade of any employee in the company. All he wants is profit and their is nothing more. When you aren't doing well at your position, he spot it out and act more strict just to make the employees work more effectively. If I am the employer, I wouldn't put too much sticks to the people who works for me, even if they're quite operating on default, I'll try to address such issues with enough humour just to make the workplace a friendly one and not the one employees will be on their toes, feeling frightened just because employer is coming to check on their duty post if they're doing well or not.

Well I think anyone going into an employ whether young or old should first respect self by following all the rules and regulations to avoid disrespect. I know that when once you respect yourself, you would also get respected so you don't just use age to flout rules in an employ and think because you are older that would be condoned by the management.

I have once worked where I believed I was a lot older than others, what I did was to respect my self and others whether young or old and it was reciprocated. I didn't have problems working there, because no body had ever dare to disrespect me. I do my job as I should and I leave at the end of the day. so everyone older do the right thing you wouldn't need to be cautious before doing what is right older or not.

Sometimes an employer may have no other choice but to employ an employee who may seems older than him maybe because he has the requisite authority and creativity to be part of the business environment . In situation like this and employer must make it clear to the employee who seems older than him , that in the business organisation everyone are seen equal and if he makes any slight attempt of bullying anyone his actions will be rusticated or possibly his employment with the business organisation will be terminated or suspended . The employer must make sure to keep to his or her word I'm not showing any special attention to the employee so as to protect the emotions and interest of the others employees .

Most business owners and employers do not employ any employee whose age is older than theirs so as to avoid any form of bullying and over noticement . But this is absolutely not right to some extent , an employee may be older than an employer but more experienced in the activities and practices of that particular business than the employer as a result of studying more intensely throughout his age . A wise employee will know that such employee really has the requisite authority to be part of his business and would probably help in areas of decision-making and idea making .

If you want your business to thrive, then you should have a few older employees. This is because they can help you with their experience in the business and life field. But you are still the owner of the business, you employed them hence you are their boss. If anything happens to your business due to their wrong actions they will find somewhere else to go, while you will bear the consequences alone. So set the necessary rules for everyone both young and old, no one is exempted. If there is anyone that wants to be claiming older and stuff at work, give him a stern warning. If it persists, then lay off the person. Remember, it's your business not the older one's.

Being a manager in a company usually comes with so many challenges. Which become even more pronounced if you are heading people who are older than. It is true that in most cultures, respecting older people is a norm. Which entails never shouting at them, respecting their orders and not the other way round.

You can see how hard it is to correct an older employee in the company when they are wrong. It is even harder to push them to do what needs to get done. They may say that you are being rude or fail to follow your orders as the manager because the culture says not to do so.

But it becomes a necessity to make known to every worker that workplace rules should be followed. Otherwise,you will get fired or any other consequences of going against the company rules no matter your age. Therefore, it is best to obey your leader who is younger.

At the same time, it is best to address all employees with respect too. The fact that you are their leader does not mean that you should be rude when communicating with them. Try explaining to the old people how work ethics work and don't shout at them as it can be more embarrassing than helpful.

In this part of the world where age is a barrier. Particularly, my tribe (yoruba) value respect than any other tribe In Nigeria. In fact, other tribes are emulating this part of our culture. In my offline business, I have two staffs that are older than I am. I still respect them and ethically they respect me too as their boss. When it comes to this, I find it very difficult to act professionally because it's a culture that was instilled in me . Sometimes, I may decide to act professionally, but I just couldn't, to the extent that I will have to execute some duties that i should have delegated to them. The age factor always come into play and I just can't deny the fact . Although, it will be better to do for the younger employees but the younger ones are not ready to work. They prefer to engage in yahoo stuffs( a Nigeria slang). Moreove, the business is a small one and the younger ones can't cope with the salary, surprised? Even if they do, be ready to fold up your business because they may steal the business fund. This is what is happening now in my country.

If you're a manager and you have an employee that's older than you, it can be tough to navigate authority and respect issues.

Employees who are older than their managers often have more experience in their field and may have even been doing similar work for longer than the manager has been alive. It's natural for them to feel like they know more about the job than the person who's in charge of them, but it's also important to maintain respect for the chain of command.

Here are some tips on how to handle employees older than you:

1 Make sure your employees understand that you're in charge, and that they need to respect your decisions.

2 You should never make a decision that undermines an employee's expertise or suggests they don't know what they're talking about.

3 Listen to their advice and use it to inform your own work habits if need be.

4. Be respectful of their experience but don't let them push you around either—you are in charge!

5. Remember that they are human beings with rights, just like you. Don't try to put them down.

The best way to handle such employees who are older than you, is to treat them with respect, and at the same time do not compromise. Give them the respect they deserve, and at the same time they would give you the respect you deserve. Let them know your stand from the very beginning, once they see you are a man who sticks to his word, they would want to play their part as well.