How to learn a skill independently

Carpon

Valued Contributor
When you have the wish to acquire a skill and you lack a teacher who will teach you as a result of some factors; or you wish to be independent while learning a skill, then there are numerous ways that you can do it.

• Using YouTube: YouTube is an app that offers a lot of knowledge on a variety of things. You can watch a lot of videos on the particular skill you are planning to acquire and through keen study and attention, you will get to learn that skill.

• Taking a course: there are many ways through which a person can purchase or get a course. Some courses are given free while others are bought for a token. For example, I wanted to learn how to publish on Amazon kdp and there was no one around to teach me. So I purchased a course on it online and carefully studied it and from that I learnt how to publish on Amazon.

Holicent

VIP Contributor
Learning a skill independently is one of the most difficult things to do. There are many reasons for this, but the main one is that you are trying to learn something that you have never done before.

The first step to learning a skill independently is knowing what it is. This can be hard because if you haven't ever done it before, you may not know what your options are or how to go about doing it in the first place.

The second step is deciding which path would be best for you. You should never try and learn everything at once and expect yourself to succeed at everything on your first attempt. This is why I recommend starting with something small and simple so that you can get used to the process properly and then build on top of that success as time goes on without getting lost in the details or feeling intimidated by them.

Once you have decided what path would be best for you, then it's time to dive right in! Don't worry about making mistakes along the way because everyone makes them (even me). It's all part of learning and teaching others how to do things as well as yourself - there's no shame in admitting when something didn't work out so well either.

Augusta

VIP Contributor
Yes they are different ways by which we can learn skills especially online and it can be done independently all for free. it is all to look for the way that will be convenient and comfortable for you to learn the skill.

one thing about learning is that if it isn't convenient or comfortable for one it becomes cumbersome and this will discouraged one to continue so the best bet is to look for a channel that will be best for one's passion and use. Yes I totally agree with your first point yeah with youtube channels now one can learn any skill from it.

You just have to follow the channels that your skills lies and learn from it. Like me I have been able to improve on my culinary skills through YouTube videos I didn't have to pay money I learned independently on them so any other person can use YouTube depending on the skills you want to acquire.

Heartstrings

You are right,I have come to realize learning a skill independently is not easy and I can relate to it, because I have had personal experiences myself. I have tried learning a skill on YouTube,first I tried to seek for more knowledge on beads making then,I learnt little from my late mum so I wanted to add more knowledge in order to start earning from it but it wasn't easy,at a time I felt reluctant to watch the tutorials why because it's online and I thought I have much time on my hands to watch later, I didn't take it so serious, assuming there was someone teaching in physical (one on one) then I would have been more serious with it.

There was a time I was also trying to learn kneeting from YouTube but I ended up not taking it serious.
YouTube is a nice place to learn from, because I have learnt how to cook some African foods that are from other tribes and I can boldly say I am doing perfectly well on it now.

moonchild

VIP Contributor
Nice article Paul, learning independently is mostly how I learn nowadays, i found out that I learn faster or more efficient when I learn alone, I can go back and repeat what I don't know at my own pace.

I'm a software developer and I learnt everything myself, I have never purchased a course from anybody for software development and I've went on and worked on many freelance projects and did wonderfully well.

But one of the things I struggled with most of the times is keeping up to it, because school has an advantage, you have to go everyday and because of incentives like meeting your girlfriend or friends, it makes it interesting to go.

But when you're learning alone, you have to push yourself everyday to learn and it can be overwhelming to do.

But all in all I prefer learning alone than than being packed in a classroom

Shaf

Verified member
I have tried learning a skill independently and though it's doable, it's not the easiest step to take ever!

This is particularly true for skills related to online jobs. There are usually no guides that give you complete details of what to know, how to learn it and what to expect during your journey.

Despite this, it's still best to learn the basics and all you can about the skill yourself. There are many free resources now, and people are becoming more open to sharing their secrets with others.

The best place to probably start from would be YouTube. That's because you can visually see how to do something as opposed to simply reading articles about it. Another great option is communities around that niche.

Reddit, Facebook groups and telegram groups are amongst the best I have found. People share their experiences, ask questions and share ideas that can assist you on your journey.

uforwealth

Verified member
Not everybody can acquire a skill through independent learning. Only the gifted can learn skills independently. They are naturally ever ready to do anything that can make them progress in life. Especially something that will make them experience financial breakthrough. The reason is that they are not lacking in motivation and they are always ready to carryout research on anything.

If you have motivation and can do research, you can learn any skill independently. You are likely to face challenges while learning independently because nobody is with you to guide you or answer questions that may come to your mind while learning, Therefore, you need to do research using Google,Youtube,Reddit,Dictonary and so on.

arunima25

Verified member
Online world is a great place to learn. There are numerous opportunities there and various sources available to embark on a journey of self learning. There is online tutorials and courses available there and one can avail it at any time. There are few challenges though. The first one is to get a good source of learning. There are many courses and tutorials available online. And finding the best ones can be challenging. Some sources have been well established and they provide good learning. Second challenge is to make a choice between free and paid courses. Free ones might make you learn but to get certification, they ask for some money.
Free sources are good. But then one has to stay self motivated and focussed to finish the course. If one pays to learn, one stats disciplined and stays focused to finish the course.
Online we can find a lot of established sites and YouTube videos that are well planned abd delivered for learning. Khan academy, Coursera etc.are some very reliable sources of learning and they provide a lot of options of various courses to choose from. These courses are free unless one wants to get a certificate by paying and writing exams.
Self learning is picking up popularity.