How to put away money for retirement

King bell

VIP Contributor
The most common financial goal for Americans is to put money away for retirement. As with any long-term investment, putting money away for the future can be difficult if you're not properly educated on the process. Incompetent investors have lost significant sums of money in mutual funds, stocks, and other investments due to mismanagement or lack of knowledge about the business itself.

Luckily, those days are over! In this post, I'll teach you how to put away money efficiently and effectively by starting a 401(k) plan at work or setting up ACH deposits with your bank account if you're self-employed.
1. Determine the amount you need to save for retirement. It's important to have a target amount in mind before you start to put money away. One way to determine this number is by using your estimated retirement income from Social Security, your Pensioned Income from other forms of employment or self-employment and any Additional Income that you may be able to receive as an entrepreneur (such as royalties, gross sales commissions or IRA distributions). Whatever number it is, make sure it is realistic! Once you've determined how much money you need, obviously you'll need to figure out how much savings will get you there.
2. Decide on a savings rate. If you're unsure of your finances, I suggest that you choose to save approximately 10% of your income before taxes, preferably with the contribution coming from pre-tax (i.e. invested) income and not pre-tax benefits such as a flexible spending account or health savings account.
3. Make an investment plan similar to any other long-term retirement plan. You should set up a 401(k) plan with your employer or, if you're self-employed, set up an ACH deposit with a bank account that has a competitive interest rate. Make sure that you have the option to invest in mutual funds or stocks. Again, make sure that you choose an investment interest rate similar to any other long-term investment (such as a Certificate of Deposit).
4. Check in on your retirement accounts occasionally. After your initial deposit, check on your retirement account from time to time to ensure optimal growth and contribution rates from your employer and/or you yourself. If you are not receiving any matching contributions from your employer, it may be a good time to open a Roth 401(k) with your employer. If you're self-employed, you should check in on your investment accounts fairly regularly.
5. Don't forget to check in on your retirement accounts once a year! Once a year, after the end of the tax year when you file your taxes - make sure to do a quick check of your retirement accounts. Review AVERAGE balance and investment rates. If you're at or above target #1, great! If not, figure out what actions need to be taken to correct this issue before it becomes too serious (i.e., missing deadline for deposit or total loss).

saoussen5765

Valued Contributor
You could discuss the plan with agency that organizes retirements for more details because each organization or company has his own plans for paying back on retirement there are many. And for each specific laws.

Shaf

Verified member
I want to start my own retirement plan myself because the organization I work for doesn't have one for it's employees. In fact, most private organizations here in Nigeria have nothing to do with the retirement plans or pensions or even gratuity for their staff, so it's up to you to plan for yourself or be stranded when you are no longer fit to work.

To do this I would like to have about $30,000. This is a lot of money and even if I save 10% monthly without fail, it will be hard to reach that goal. To achieve this, I have to actively and wisely invest the savings, and I've gotten some pretty profitable business ideas to use. If possible, it will enable me to retire in 5 to 10 years.

Most people don't even know where to start from and I think it will be helpful if there is provision of this service for private sector workers.

Yusra3

VIP Contributor
The first step to putting away money for retirement is to make sure you're saving as much as you can.

If you're in your 20s or 30s, it's easy to feel like there's no point in saving anything. you're young and motivated, so why would you bother? But the more time passes, the less likely it is that you'll be able to work forever. And even if you do, it's increasingly likely that you'll be spending more time caring for an aging parent than working at a job.

So if you want to put away money for retirement, start now! Start with small amounts like $50 a month and build up from there. If $50 seems like too much money at first, start with something smaller and build up from there.