How true is the saying that "the customer is always right"

Etini

Valued Contributor
Since when I was a child, I have been hearing that the customer is always right. This is often said to imply that the seller should make concessions to accommodate the demands of a customer. How realistically correct is this statement? Should the seller always bend to accommodate the customers? Is this business cliche not giving too much power to the customers?

Picture this. A customer walks into a shop and enquires about a product. You give him all the information. When it comes to pricing, he gives a price not favorable to you. You politely insist on your price. The customer starts getting rude and abuses you verbally calling you derogatory names. Should you reply? Or the customer is still right?

Picture this again. You offer one service or the other. A customer walks in. And you are serving him to the best of your ability. Let's say you are barbing him. All of a sudden, he stands up and gives you a hot slap followed by punches. The justification is that you have spoilt his hairstyle. Are you free to defend yourself? Or he as a customer is right as usual?

Let me hear your opinion guys.

Carpon

Valued Contributor
Actually, a customer is at liberty to choose what he or she wants whether a good or commodity or the quality of service that they want. But this should not be mistaken to be a liberty for them to take the opportunity and harass or belittle business owners.

It is okay for me to come to your shop and choose what I want, bargain the price and all that. But it is very wrong for me to become abusive when the stated price does not sound soothing to me. I can simply walk out and that is never an offence.

I personally think that the idea of the customer is always right is a misconception and that makes people think they can treat business owners and people that render services in the way that they wish to.

Customers have the right to choose what they want and buy if it pleases them. But never do they have the right to maltreat anybody for whatsoever reason.