Earn Money Learning a Skill Vs Further Education Which one is More Profitable?

AfriPeeps Official

There is this question that Virtually everyone will have to answer at a particular point in time, the question is whether to go for further education or learn some kind of skills.

Truthfully, there was a time when virtually everyone believe that getting as much education as possible is very profitable and will make someone successful, but eventually with the passing of each day, things started changing and people started having a different view concerning this topic.

There was a time when every student that managed to complete his/her basic education for example completing a secondary school and having obtain the certificate is guaranteed to get a well paying job even some were given a free accommodation and official car but nowadays even a university graduate is finding it very difficult to secure a job.

So what are the other options available now, one major option is learning a skill or learning trade. And this has proves to be more effective bin many cases, we have seen numerous graduates who resolved into learning a skill and are now benefitting from that decision.

What do you think, which one is more profitable?

Sotherefore

VIP Contributor
Learning a skill can be one of the best thing you should consider doing if you are not yet into the tertiary institution because it is easier to learn a skill now than to come back and learn it later after you have done with school. The only advantage of school is that you might even see an opportunity to get employee by the government

Carson20t

I believe that one needs basic education and as it stands now the job market is competitive both in jobs and the level of qualification that one has in order to get a job.Therefore one needs to obtain a college degree,then incorporate life survival skills.To my preference i think it os better whilst studying for a degree you are learning about some of the top marketable skills.

Some of the offline skills include,carpenter, seamstress, dog handler, public speaker, driving, farming to mention but a few.The online skills include graphic design,programming, copywriting,translator, video editor, cartoonist to mention but a few.

Chibson

VIP Contributor
Different strokes for different folks. there are people that have made a lot of money from education and there are some people that didn't attend school but they have made money through business or learning of skill. What works for one person may not work for another person. So at the end of the day it is all about passion and interest.

kayode10

VIP Contributor
I cannot ask you to pick one over the other because both of them are very important especially during the present day economy. When you are not fully employed you can make use of the knowledge you acquire from learning skill to fend for yourself. When the employment opportunity comes then you can use your certificate which you got from university to apply for the job.

Jasz

VIP Contributor
If you ask if education or learning a skill? That's a question that has been debated since the dawn of time. One side says that education is the key to success and a better life, while others say that learning a skill will give you more opportunities for success.

The truth is, both are necessary for success. If you want to get ahead in life, you need both education and a skill set. There are plenty of people with skills who don't have degrees, but there are also many with degrees who lack skills. So what do these two things have in common? They both take time to develop and they both require practice.

A degree isn't going to be enough if you don't put it into practice at least once every day. And if you don't practice your skills every day, then they'll never improve. The best way to learn is through reading books and doing hands-on work (or playing games) until your mind can't take anymore information, then sleeping on it! Then wake up refreshed and do it all again tomorrow! You'll be amazed at how much progress you make over time.

btaliat

VIP Contributor
People don't really know that skill doesn't involve informal ways of learning some handiworks alone. But it involves learning formal things like education. Can we compare education with anything? It will be unjust making such a hasty comparison. Education is the only skill that will always be relevant in all time.

Though acquiring skill is right especially the trending ones. In fact, it can even be of usefulness in school when the learners judiciously use the skill to fend for himself on campus. But is this enough reason to pick skill over education? I think we need to make a wiser decision.

Education will always be standing the test of time whereas skill is somehow contemporary. This means skills can fade away anytime soon. We have seen some people who stopped patronizing older people because they believe they don't have the knowledge that is practically useful these contemporary time. But hardly can we make mockery of an older professor. In fact, the older you are , the more relevant you are educationally.

However, if there is much money to further education, there is nothing bad in choosing skill. But in the case there is a situation where one is to pick between the two, education should be chosen.

Ithedicious

Valued Contributor
Both of them are very important because learning a skill will offer you a greater advantage in the sense that when you get into the university , you will have something to rely on that can help you generate some money . But a situation in which you just get into school without having a skill that will help you make money on spare time , Then you have to derstand that you will be depending on your parents for everything in school.

What I'm trying to say is that learning a skill will not stop you from going to school if that is what interests you . Learning a skill before going to school is a greater advantage and my suggestion is that no matter What May happen , it is advisable for you to learn a skill first and go to school. Both of them are very very important.

Sikapa

Verified member
OK nice question, and I think I'm also sharing my opinion on this topic. The truth here is we can never live on this planet earth without education and believe me or not this is true. Education is the backbone of every successful life. What do we go to schools, colleges and universities to do, is it not to acquire knowledge?

Of course we go to school to acquire knowledge and skill. Remember we have two types of education and these are formal education and informal education. Formal education takes place in school while informal education takes place at home. Therefore whether you are to acquire skills or to go to university, you are still in the educational system. Is better to acquire skills because I have realized that most of the people who go to the universities sometimes struggle for jobs. But have special skill is so beneficial and you can use your skills for living.

Oluwasegun purpose

learning a skills is good for one to learn but note this learning a skills is not important than education.... Education is the best if one didn't have education in his/her life that person is not among the living is just like a working dead,education is the key to one success one can not make it in life,one can not be rich without the help of education, Even if you don't have the power to further more at least try and go to secondary and complete it ,just make sure you know how to read and write and speak good English....

Learning a skills is also good, because without hand work now are days One is nothing you need to get a hand Work because one can't depends on only education if you are educated and you don't have a job and you have a good hand work am tell you that your hand work can still feed you and your family...

So I will suggest that the both is the best....