Producing and selling earthworms for fertilizer production

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
I was surprised to see the unique product offered in an e-commerce site here. The product is earthworms for producing compost fertilizer. Now it makes me think that producing compost fertilizer is a good money maker now because of the so many plant enthusiasts as a result of the lockdown. In the picture is the compost bin that is my factory of compost fertilizer that I am planning to sell.

IMG_8151 compost bin.JPG
In producing earthworms you need to buy the starter or better if you can dig for earthworms in your backyard. The compost bin can be a plastic bath tub or simply a plastic trash bag. Put soil of about an inch high, cover the soil with wood trimmings and food – excess vegetables, leftover food, other biodegradable. The worms will produce rapidly. In a month you can start selling worms.

arunima25

Verified member
I tried having compost bin in home for my terrace garden. But I had to give up as monkeys will visit and create a mess. Now we give our kitchen waste to a nearby compost business and I get the compost at a very cheap rate. They give it to us on cheap rate because we have a card that says that we give our kitchen waste to them. For others they sell it at market price. Compost making has gained so much popularity these days. And we always knew that earthworm is farmer's best friend. This sounds like a good business idea.

btaliat

VIP Contributor
This is either organic or inorganic form of fertilizer as we were taught in our basic agriculture science in school then. This method is natural and highly nutritious. And the major thing that makes it applaudable is that the material needed are gotten with ease which require no money or stress.

arunima25

Verified member
This is either organic or inorganic form of fertilizer as we were taught in our basic agriculture science in school then. This method is natural and highly nutritious. And the major thing that makes it applaudable is that the material needed are gotten with ease which require no money or stress.
Composts are organic one and so they are environment friendly and also safe for consumers of the produce. You are right that it doesn't require a lot of investment..one can get earthworms in gardens and fields. And we get enough waste from kitchen and those from our garden to go into that compost. That's why they call it black gold.

btaliat

VIP Contributor
Composts are organic one and so they are environment friendly and also safe for consumers of the produce. You are right that it doesn't require a lot of investment..one can get earthworms in gardens and fields. And we get enough waste from kitchen and those from our garden to go into that compost. That's why they call it black gold.
I love following and reading your post because they are always insightful. You write on topics like a professor that's why I am always happy finding myself in this type of community where knowledge is shared. I never know anything like black gold until I read it from your post. Kudos.

arunima25

Verified member
I love following and reading your post because they are always insightful. You write on topics like a professor that's why I am always happy finding myself in this type of community where knowledge is shared. I never know anything like black gold until I read it from your post. Kudos.
Glad that you liked it. I used to teach in university before my marriage. But now I am working with school as special educator and counselor. I deal with children from 3 years to 18 years.
I am very passionate about gardening and have my own beautiful garden with enough veggies. And I am a strong supporter of compost in my community and have promoted it in my neighborhood. So I have some knowledge of it. I did it as a project with my young children in our school. " Sharing our food with plants" was the theme year around and I did it through stories and other art. Children throw the left over food in the compost bin and that goes to garden of school. It's a way to make them environment friendly and appreciate Nature.

Abigael

Valued Contributor
This is such a great business idea. There are truly more plant enthusiast nowdays who got the passion when there was lockdown. Many people are seeing the importance of agriculture and growing your own food. So there is an increase in need for fertilizers. So selling these earthworms that are used to produce fertilizers is definitely a profitable business.

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
This is such a great business idea. There are truly more plant enthusiast nowdays who got the passion when there was lockdown. Many people are seeing the importance of agriculture and growing your own food. So there is an increase in need for fertilizers. So selling these earthworms that are used to produce fertilizers is definitely a profitable business.
The main reason why I posted this topic is because of the hype on the gardening as a way to prevent stress in this pandemic era. What follows with plants are fertilizer. By the way, the composting output is not just the fertilizer but also a potting material. They call it loam soil here but actually it is humus which is more potent than ordinary fertilizer.