Risks involved in being a POS agent

Mandy96

Valued Contributor
I think I once talked about this business on this same forum, and I won’t go against my points that it is a very lucrative job and well advisable to do if you have the adequate requirements, but this does not mean that it does not have the risks surrounding it as well. These days, it is becoming rampant that people are using this means to defraud people of their hard earned money. In which at the end of the day, it always end up with the agent suffering the loses. I think I have witnessed on two different occasion where people come to launch complain about this same issue and they happen to be the persons running the business.

Sometimes, people steal other people’s debit card and come to use it at the POS machine because they are well aware that the ATM machine will take capture of their face so they would not want to make that mistake, eventually the investigation will lead to that agent’s location and could be interrogated which will delay his or her time to be making money. As a POS attendant, I will advise you not to accept USSD or bank to bank transfer in order to avoid fake transactions, there are others dangers really attached to it but you just have to be smart.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sherman198

VIP Contributor
This is a great deal of advice here, which I will have to thank you for. I have actually been thinking of opening my own POS business and information goes a long way. However, I think it's very important to be very vigilant as you have said. There's money there but it's a little bit risky.

Sotherefore

VIP Contributor
I believe everyone that is engaging in this business will be trained on how to go about the business because I understand there is a risk associated with it also, I have also been made to understand that you can be dube physically and if your location is not well secured it is possible that all your money could be collected.. I also believe that anyone who engage in this business should understand the potential risks that is involved that is why security is the first thing you need to consider . I have heard a lot of pos agent getting rob in a less secured location.

Mataracy

VIP Contributor
You are right. There are many risk attach to this especially when there is revers.
Some time customers will come to make transfer to the agent in which after awhile the money will go back to the account of who sent the money and this will put the pos owner in to serious problem and lose.

To avoid this agent should not allow transfer from any body except those who are using their own card.

Last edited by a moderator: