Saying No To Compulsive Spending Urges

Abigael

Valued Contributor
Did you know that you can always say no to your spending urges? This is something that I learned not so long ago and it has been really efficient in keeping me on toes with my compulsive spending habit.

Compulsive spending is the buying of goods or services without planning for them. You see a shoe and just want to buy it even if you already have 10 pairs. You see a travel agency and want to go for a tour even when you have been from one recently.

Such spending habits could lead you to being broke. During these hard times when inflation is hitting hard, there is great need to be frugal with money. Otherwise, you get caught up with bills and you may fall deep into bad debt.

There is great need to therefore say no to unnecessary spending. It is hard to say no when you really desire something, but it is necessary and possible.

One important thing you need is self awareness. You can only be self aware when you practice living in the moment. When you are fully present in your head and everything that goes own around you, you will immediately catch yourself desiring something. That is when you can say no to it. Once you say no, forget about it and go on with life.

This is the best way to develop self discipline against compulsive spending. It won't happen immediately, but your discipline will grow stronger the more you say no.