The issue of intermittent sleep pattern for the seniors

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
This topic is common to seniors. I have many contemporaries who are always complaining of the bad sleeping pattern. Sleep will come by 9 am but he will wake before midnight. Sleep would be hard to come by that it will take more than an hour before he could sleep again.

I am fortunate that the bad sleep pattern does not happen to me. My bedtime is also 9 pm but I try to feel if I am really sleepy otherwise I would watch tv for 30 minutes and read or do the crossword puzzle until my eyes would droop. That is the best time to sleep with no interruption. For the old people sleep at night is very important and when we cannot abide by the usual bedtime hour then do not force yourself in bed.

Yugocean

Valued Contributor
I used to have bad sleep pattern, sometimes I was not able to sleep all night. I tried counting items, watching tv and other ways, but nothing worked out. Then I started Yoga and also increased my physical activities (including exercise). This helped my body and mind. Nowadays I get perfect sleep.​

Augusta

VIP Contributor
I think sleep is one thing that no one should joke with whether the seniors or not. it is a good way of relieving stress and getting to rest the nerves. So the sleep pattern must be looked into with all form of seriousness to make sure it is right

Mika

VIP Contributor
My father is 65 years and my mother is 60. My parents do not have any sleeping issues. They do a lot of manual work. They work on their vegetable garden, they do their laundry and cleaning. Since they work a lot they are very tired and feel sleepy by the time it is 8. Yet, they spend 1-2 hours watching TV and then sleep. They wake up at 5.

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
You may be right that the issue of sleeping pattern has to do with the lifestyle of the person particularly for a senior who needs more physical activities. I may have inherited my father's lifestyle to be working at home no matter what chore it is just so I would not be idle. Maybe the mind is also lethargic when there is nothing to do for the day.