The need to cut down on wedding expenses in Nigeria.

Etini

Valued Contributor
Born and brought up in Nigeria, there are certain things about Nigerian life that I think should be completely eradicated. One of those things is the outrageous expenses we incur at weddings and marriages. I spoke with a lady yesterday about the need to do a private wedding with only a few guests, she vehemently objected and told me it is like you are stealing the girl.

I know people who have taken loans to marry in Nigeria. I know people who gave saved for years just to marry. I believe such an outlay of funds can be channeled into an investment rather than into a one-day ceremony. The problem with all of this is that we were programmed to stretch to impress people. I maintain that it is economically sound to have a private wedding with few guests than spend so much. The funds can be channeled into an investment that would yield more income in the future.

Rendered

I believe people waste too much on money on two things and that is weddings and funerals. I do not need to spend a lot of money to go in debt to be stressed just to show the person I love them. And I do not need any money spent on dressing me all up just to trow dirt on a box that no one will ever see again.

Heartstrings

Most people actually waste money on this things and it makes me wonder if the group is actually buying the bride or if the bride is actually selling herself off. How well you spend on your wedding dies not guarantee you a successful marriage life,there are so many people who spend millions of money on a wedding and still end up divorce after few months. Well,to my own observation I think some people do that to show off and also to impress friends and family,which is actually unnecessary.

Isn't it better to do a wedding with a few guest and save up the money for the future? The unborn kids education and basic needs. Personally I can't spend lavishly on weddings, funeral and birthdays. Imagine some people even go ahead to take a loan just for a wedding,it's amazing you know. Because I see no need for that at all. And this is what most Nigerians do.

E

eldavis

What a lot of persons fail to understand is that there is life after marriage. I have also come various couples who have a grand wedding only to battle with debts or the aftermath of the marriage. They struggle with how to pay for things like the cloths, food and even the equipment used. I believe one of the reasons for this is due to peer pressure. They want to feel like they belong. They might have friends and well wishers they want to impress, hence they spend more than they can handle.

Suba

Staff member
Marriage is a continuation of dating, marriage is also a form of love in a bond called family. Although I basically agree with you, we need to save on wedding expenses and I also don't agree if the bride and groom have to take a loan to hold a party, but a lavish and festive wedding party is also often seen as an embodiment of one's ability and dignity. So it will be difficult for us to break the customs that have been going on for years in an area.

Carpon

Valued Contributor
This is very true and I concur with you. The kind of reverence that Nigerians give to wedding celebration is as you said too outrageous that some people go to the extent of getting loans just so that they can be able to traditionally fulfil the Nigerian criteria for a wedding celebration.

You can imagine the kind of expenses people actually incure. And I actually agree with you on the fact that they are needless and marriage is actually not about the kind and velocity of the celebration and the amount spent but just a union of a man and woman

And Personally I am of the opinion and inclination that private weddings are the best. This is a kind of wedding where we have only few guests who serve as witnesses and the priest will just join the union and all vows will be exchanged.

I so much concur with you on this.