The role of past experiences in a job search

Augusta

VIP Contributor
There's always the need to have a previous experience when you are looking to clinch a job, because employers always want to work with people that already know about the demands of a job.

Working with a fresh graduate is sometimes cumbersome, because you might need not to only train the person but almost put the person through nearly all steps of the job unlike a candidate with previous experience that must have been used to the job and knows what the job role entails.

so it is pertinent to always have a past experience when you are job hunting, you can even volunteer to work for free for a while to gather experience it will help boost your resume if you are a qualified candidate than having no experience at all in the job role you are applying for.

what do you think of this ?

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
I agree that it is not easy to work with one who has no job experience. However, working with a diligent trainee is a good experience because they are nice to teach. Besides, my work is somehow easier with the assistance of the trainee. For job hunting, my work experience is listed in my resume but with only the description of the job and not the details. For a computer programmer I had listed the types of programs that I have made. For a systems analyst job I have written the types of system that I did and how I tested and implemented. Again, the details would be asked in the interview so I do not really care to be very detailed in my resume. There is also the line about the positions I have reached. That's where I indicate if I had undergone training or actual exams. The resume should be impregnated with the potential details so the interview would be interesting.

Jasz

VIP Contributor
When you're applying for a job, it's normal to feel like your previous experience doesn't have anything to do with the job you're applying for. It's also natural to feel like the experience you have is going to be too far behind you, or unlike anyone else's, or just not impressive enough. But none of those feelings are true.

Your past experiences can help you get a job in a number of different ways. For one thing, they show that you've been successful in the past, which means you'll probably be successful in the future—and that's huge for employers. For another thing, being able to talk about what you've done in the past helps your interviewers get a sense of who you are as a person and how much they could trust you if they were to hire you.

Every single experience matters! Here are just a few things that will make an employer think "wow" when they read your application:

You helped raise money for charity as part of your job.

You were promoted within your first 6 months at work.

You learned something new that helped make your team more productive.

You helped create an app or website (even if it was just a hobby).

You've worked with people from clearly

Kendy

Verified member
The role of past experiences in a job search had opened my eyes to do many untold stories. My experience in job hunting especially in the last two couple of years has taught me a lot of lessons ranging from; confidence, whereby I should always stand my ground and not fidget no matter how reputable the organisation I apply for a job is. It has taught me not to think that others are more better, qualified or skilled than I am. It has taught me to believe and always be confident in myself even though I might not have all the 100% needed experience.

Job hunting as a fresh graduate after my compulsory national assignment really sharpened and equipped me into being a stronger person who has a choice to make and not easily couped by any authority. The role of past experiences helped me not to jump at any random opportunities without first checking some important factors even before accepting an invite to go for an interview. I first of all have to check how favourable the location would be, I should check the renumeration package and fringe benefits, the general welfare of their staff and the repute of the organization before embarking on any journey.