Three Skills That Will Help You Build Your Career

Mika

VIP Contributor
Public Speaking: If you do not know how to speak in public spaces, you will never succeed in your life. When you are shy and blush everything you try to open up, you will not be able to tell people how much you know or what you can do. Thus, you have no chance of excelling in your career. IT is not difficult to learn public speaking, just try talking into the mirror.

Time Management: The ability to manage your time means the ability to manage your life. You will have to learn how to schedule, how to prioritize tasks, how to make a calendar, etc. If you can manage time, you will have more spare time to explore other things in life.

Personal Finances: Your knowledge and skills in managing your debit and credit balance, income and expenses, investment, and saving will make or break your life. Managing and organizing your money will open so many doors for you.

King bell

VIP Contributor
There are many skills that can help you build your career, but three that are particularly important are:

1. Communication

Being able to communicate effectively is essential in any career. You need to be able to communicate with your colleagues, clients, and superiors.

2. Organization

Being organized can help you be more productive and efficient in your work. It can also help you keep track of deadlines and progress on projects.

3. Time management

Being able to manage your time effectively is important in any career. It can help you meet deadlines, juggle multiple tasks, and prioritize your work.

cmoneyspinner

LOL. I will agree that public speaking and time management skills were critical to my career success. But personal finances? If my job performance was based on that, I would not have gotten very far. LOL. When you're married your personal finances go together and to be honest, my husband was much better at money management than I was; and I was an accountant! LOL. To my credit, I did know how to balance my check book.

I'm not sure about jobs in other countries, but here in the USA, I think companies are more willing to promote employees who have Certifications. Some people can't afford to go to college (or don't want to) but a Certification shows that have skills in something.

8 certifications that actually impress recruiters - Glassdoor Blog ~ https://www.glassdoor.com/blog/certifications-impress-recruiters/

Lens1000

VIP Contributor
It is quite interesting that you are sharing this thread but I must confess that your notion around someone not being successful if he cannot address the public is not right. There are so many wealthy people that are very shy but still they have this wealth in under their control. It most important thing to learn public speaking because it will allow you to express your feelings. Especially if your your business is related to addressing a crowd. It is also important that if you can manage your finances well, you'll be able to build your career.

Someone who cannot manage finances cannot build a better career. it is important that you should learn this if you really want to become successful in life. The basic skills that everyone must possess is the financial management. it is not a skill peculiar to some certain set of people, it is for everyone who wants to succeed and that makes it very important that you should know how to manage your finances properly if you really want to make it in life.

The time is also very important. Although, this could be very difficult if you have lot of things to do at the same time but it will be very good if you could sit down, relax and look for better ways to manage your time to maximize profit for yourself.

btaliat

VIP Contributor
There are many reasons why some people are still romaing the street without any job and anything to keep them busy. The major one is that they refuse to have some skills that are needed for them to boost their career. Even if one is gainfully employed whether personally or working for someone, there is need to build over our skills to improve our career. We can do that through the following:

Don't stop reading: reading is what others have stopped that has made them be wherever they may be. A saying will say you will always be wherever you are even in the next five years if you don't read or you don't change your friends. This means for anyone that's planning on how to improve his or her skill, the first thing to do is to make sure the reads.

Time management: the only gift that God gives anybody without anyone having to have less or more is time. The same hours that the richest man has is the same with the poorest. The only difference is the usage of such time. We need to learn how to use our time well. This is because we cannot improve our skills and career without that.

Ithedicious

Valued Contributor
I have some problem with public speaking personally , but that is not really a point of consideration because if I am interested to speak in public I will try as much as possible to do . That is not really a point of consideration for me but I remember when I was so shy about doing this , but as I grow older I come to find out that most of these things are unavoidable and you can't do without them. As a result I have to face my fear and now the shyness is normal.

Anyone who is very shy about speaking in public should try as much as possible to overcome this because this will affect you in So many ways if proper care is not taken. I choose to avoid so many things that could make me lose my confidence and I only spend time with things that make me more confident .

Setho

VIP Contributor
A lot of job seekers nowadays are usually observed about having paper qualifications but not soft skills and other hard skills that employees are mostly looking out for. The world is changing and as such we have to be changing also in order to meet the competition we are going to be facing from so many people.

1. Computer literacy. We all know that computer is taking the centre stage is in almost every area of life . This means that employees will definitely fancy employ somebody who knows one or two about operating a computer. You do not have to know much but entry-level knowledge in using documents and spreadsheets applications is desirable.

2. Working as part of a group. A lot of organisations like to divide work especially based on expertise and I thought you are going to be finding yourself working within groups . You are definitely going to face a lot of challenges with this and that is why you need to know how to work as part of a group.

3. Critical thinking ability. With increasing competition, things are changing very quickly and you need to adapt to them. The problems that you are facing today might present itself in another form tomorrow so you need critical thinking ability in order to identify and solve them.