Transportation Cost to Work- A Factor in Taking a Job Offer.

Etini

Valued Contributor
We have had cases of individuals jumping on a job offer without doing proper considerations of the vital things that need to be considered. It is only when they have started working for some time that the reality of these failed considerations dawn on them. One thing that people fail to consider when negotiating and accepting financial terms in a job offer is the cost of transportation to work.

It is easy to get wowed by a pay package offered you but have you considered how the cost of transporting yourself to that work to earn that pay package. I have seen cases where people spend more than 50% of their salaries on transportation to work. It doesn't make any sense of work.

Before you accept any job offer, be sure of tye cost of transportation to where that job is located. When you are negotiating the salary for that job, make it clear to the negotiator what you would have to spend to get to that job everyday. Calculate the total cost of transportation to work and subtract it from the amount being offered and make a decision based on that.

My own personal ruling on this is that if your transportation to work is more than 10% of the salary being offered, don't take the job. Being a little flexible, I might adjust it to 15%. But anything beyond that is a no case for me. It is important to factor in your transportation costs to work before accepting that job offer. Don't end up spending all your salary going to work.