What is the meaning of Particular Average Loss ?

Mataracy

VIP Contributor
According to section 64(1) of the Act states that particular average loss is a partial loss of the subject matter insured, against, and which is not a general average loss. Thus free from particular average (FPA) means free from partial loss while'with average' (WA) means that partial losses are covered.
Note that particular average refers to partial loss affecting the particular interest involved with Marin venture. Therefore, it can refer to loss or damage to the ship itself i.e. "average" which is " particular" to that interest.
In particular average, the loss is accidental and falls exclusively upon the owner of the lost or damaged property or if insured, upon underwriter. Among the leading illustrations of losses constituting particular average, there may be the destruction of or damage to goods by fire, sea water, or accident during the process of unloading and damage to vessel through straining, standing, collision , or fire. With respect to both the number of claims and in he proportion of the aggregate financial loss suffered through marine perils, particular average losses probably exceed in importance all of the other types of marine losses combined

Mandy96

Valued Contributor
Yes I have been pondering on this exact point you just made up there and I really like to be honest that most people do not know about this and the ones that are even lucky enough to have the knowledge will not take it seriously which usually cause some kind of disagreement later