Why You Should Follow The Market Not Your Passion.

moonchild

VIP Contributor
Everybody has a passion and they can be profitable or not, nowadays we are told to follow our passion and we can barely make a living with our passions alone.

Personally I have passion in writing children novels but does it mean people care about reading children novels and I will be damned if i say I am going to follow my passion and make a living writing those kind of books.

The truth is nobody really cares about your passion, what people want are solutions to their problem not your passion and that is what you should be focused completely.

If you think every problem is solved then maybe you did not look deeper, there are problems everywhere, that pregnant woman that just gives birth needs a solution to fix her weight, that person that can't get a girlfriend need a solutions, that girl needs a solution of to her hair, you dig?

You need to start thinking in that pattern, you will see that there are problems and your work will be to find solutions to these things and collect your money.

After making money you can then follow your passion and do whatever you like, but for now it's all about solving problems.

Abigael

Valued Contributor
What you have said seems so convincing. Though we have lived all our lives being told that we should follow our passions and do that which we love. Which is true because when you do what you are passionate about, you do it with so much zeal and zest.

But the world right now has changed. You May have a passion that is not profitable because it is not in demand anymore. That is why people choose to find solutions to problems and start a business in it.

When this happens for you, it is best to love what you are doing. Whichever solution you have chosen to provide through business, love what you are doing and do it with focus and attention.

The bad thing with doing what you are not passionate about is that you will end up not doing your best. You will always find yourself being lazy and procrastinating often on what you are supposed to do.

Kingsley

Valued Contributor
It will take alot to convince my about forgetting my passion and going for the market, I always have the believe that the sky is always too wide for birds to fly and I also believe that our passionnshould be what actually gives us the drive When It seems like all hope is almost gone. When it seems like everyone is backing out or backing down. I have been in a situation like that before. I am naturally inclined with the gift of working on anything electrical, this has always been with me since my child hold in Fox everything electrical in my house and neighbourhood and I have been able make sometime good out of it. To be candid I never learnt it from anyone or anywhere formally as it came to me naturally. So there was a day something was been fixed by a set of so called engineers, and those guys had done all they could virtually do to fix the problem but all to no avail. So I had been looking at what was going on so I latter pleaded with them if I could give it a try and they accepted and voila I was able to fix the problem.

Sometimes market could be pointing at a direction that negates your passion, it will be better to focus on your passion as you can always draw strength from it.

Kendy

Verified member
This thread is very educating and your points is very apt and logical. Passion ofcourse is a very essential tool and a driving force to our purpose but the fact remains that, passion cannot cover up for our needs. We have been told all our lives that passion should be aligned to get desirable results and this ofcourse is true which is why, I frown at parents who force their children to study courses which they are obviously not passionate about, they either end up with poor grades or they dropout before they can reach the graduation peak. There is no way you would force a child who has passion in music to study Medicine and surgery and expect the child to operate well in the theater and this is the reasons we have a lot of mortality rate because the fault comes from negligence from the medical experts. In the world of today and the state of the economic clime, one needs to go beyond passion if not, you might die of penury and starvation. For instance in Nigeria, it would be so difficult for me to make sales if I engage in selling of tampons instead of sanitary pads which the women are more used to and also more comfortable. The environment totally determines where our passion should be tilted towards.

btaliat

VIP Contributor
To be factual and realistic, your point is too valid to be rendered useless and baseless. Most time the reality may be different from our perspectives. But does that mean we are wrong? No, it only means we have many ways by which we can solve issues.

There are many that have followed their passons that have really succeeded in doing that and there are some that follow the market trends and they are now in money. Which if them is now the better one to follow?

The apt answer is if you want a long term goal and a legacy to leave for your children, follow your passion. Don't be bothered whether people give you audience or not. Just do it deligently and be focused. But if you are after the money, then you need to follow the market. Do market survey, know what people want and provide the solutions.

However, I will always be of the opinion that we need more of our passion than we need market trend. This is because we are always satisfied even when money is not forthcoming in passion whereas we get frustrated when it comes to market trend. Aside this, your market and product may provide solutions to a particular problem today but can that be said of some later years ?

E

eldavis

I think alot of persons these days have gotten the enlightenment. These days people tend to go after where they can make enough money to sustain themselves and their family, only few are lucky enough to earn from their passion. I met someone some time back who said it's better to chase after where you can earn well, once you are comfortable you are free to follow your passion.