Are Labor Rights Protected In Your Country?

Good-Guy

VIP Contributor
The issue of Labor rights is a serious one in the world. There are many countries where not much emphasize is not put on the rights of workers. There are many Tier 3 countries workers the rights of workers are exploited because the law either does not exist or it is not implemented properly where it is necessary. Unfortunately, many human rights organizations are also not able to deal with such problems at an international level because of a lack of interest of the governments of the countries to fight for the rights of labor and employees. This results in slavery-like conditions of many poor labors. Some of the major violations include not being paid sufficiently, not being paid on time, being abused at work, being bullied horribly, torture of workers, insults and disrespects, etc.

Many developed countries have laws that might favor employees and this is why such kind of offenses are not commonly found in some countries. According to The International Trade Union Confederation, the violation and exploitation of employees is alarmingly high in certain countries. Such kind of violations also provoke violence in the workplace and protests against business organizations. So what do you think you could do to stop such kind of situation? Are worker's rights protected in your country?

D

Deleted member 28127

What I know exactly is contradictory to what you say so the first issue is relative employing means most of the employers wants to employ relatives and neighbors unless the competence compared to external person and second thing half of the workers don't work with contract only diplomats have contracts.

Caramelle

To a certain extent, labor rights are protected in my country. Workers almost always enjoy the benefit of the doubt when they file labor cases against their employers. There are laws that protect their rights and mandate criminal punishment for violating basic rights such as the right to receive minimum wage, leave credits, mandatory contributions for social security, health insurance, and housing funds.

I still believe that the laws need improvements in order to protect them from 'legalized' abuses such as contractualization which allows employees to renew their contracts repeatedly instead of regularizing them after a period of 5 or 6 months. Limiting their tenure to renewable contracts deprives them of benefits such as leave credits, future retirement benefits, and security of tenure.

Another way for companies to subvert labor laws is the practice of subcontracting labor needs to a general contractor, a third-party labor agency. This practice enables companies to save on labor costs and employee benefits as well as the administrative expenses of managing the workforce and processing their payroll. The workers employed by a general contractor receive the most basic compensation package while the regular employees of the company enjoy generous compensation packages. Come to think of it, these workers contribute significantly to the achievement of the company's goals and deserve to be rewarded accordingly.​

Kingsley

Valued Contributor
Taking about labour right in a third world country like mine is indeed a mirage, the truth is even the workers themselves are not even aware of their rights or probably they don't care anymore because of the inhumane treatment they are been meant to undergo under the hands of their slave master as I will like to address them because of the way they treat thr labourers in my country.

I have had the opportunity of working with a few of them and i know from first hand what this people undergo in the hands of their superiors. There are no laws protect in them. Infact they see their boys as their God and treat their jobs as the only thing they will ever have in life. They are forced to work under conditions that are not to write home about, risking their lives everyday. The worse part of this issue is that even when they get injured in the prove they don't even get compensations.

The government too is not helping in out in anyway. They just fold their arms and put their eyes the o the way because they are been bribed heavily by these companies Carryout this wicked act.

btaliat

VIP Contributor
There is no enlightenment on workers right lest the rights are not protected neither respected. It is even better in some public establishment where workers may go on strike when there is infringement on their rights. The reverse is for the private workers.

Private workers are not meant to protect even when they are being cheated. Almost all organisations do use their workers like servants, some even demand them working over time without giving them some incentives for doing so.

Though, there are some organisations set up by government and some NGOs that are responsible to help ik sensitising the workers on their rights, it has not really resulted into positive outcomes.

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
I think there is no labor issues in the past years although I know that there are small companies whose workers staged a strike. The bickering between the employer and the workers cannot be avoided when there is a worker's union due to the activism. Don't get me wrong but I am against labor unions because they seem to fuel the fire in the hearts of the workers as if the employer is always unfair. I have been an employer before and I know that employees have the mentality against the boss. Maybe it is the nature of man to have ill feelings against the superiors. When the activists get involved in the mediation of the labor and employer you can bet that the mediation will lead to a strike because the workers would not give in. It is hard to explain but my take on labor rights in our country is just all right with the benefits of the workers.

E

eldavis

I don't think this law is being taken seriously here in my country, cause there have been so many cases of employees abused physically or mentally in the country, we work almost the whole day for extremely little pay, the working environment is not even good enough, making use of outdated material and resources, there is no time given to us as a time for our break, handling multiple task at the same time, working from Monday to Saturday 8am to 7pm and in some cases longer than that.