Do You Have a Healthy way of Preparing Your Rice (meal)

Jasz

VIP Contributor
Rice contains a lot of calories and carbs. No doubt it's a starchy food. Rice is one of the commonest food grains in the world. The Asians, Africans etc enjoy eating rice a lot. Rice can be cooked in jollof, fried, white (with stew) and coconut form.

Despite the health information circulating online about rice raising blood sugar and blood pressure, people still consume it everyday, I do too and almost every time until now.

I learnt years back the best way to prepare white rice and stew is to wash the rice with salt before cooking, until I heard how unsafe that method was and the need to parboil my rice before cooking properly. Seriously, I thought the latter was the healthiest until Christmas when my sister visited. She strongly advised me to cook the rice until it's completely dawn , then I can filter the water ( the need to add enough or excess water while cooking ) and let the remaining dry up.

I followed this process meticulously. We kept the filtered water in a bowl to cool off. After some minutes, the water formed into starch, very sticky, not the normal liquid I filtered. It was amazing what we consume everyday.

My curiosity is, is this really the healthiest way to prepare this kind of meal, and is doing this not taking out all the necessary nutrients and leaving the rice as ordinary chaff?.

I think the best way of cooking rice is parboiled method.it is very hygienic and Safe.You still get all the nutritional value from it.Rice is very rich in carbohydrate and you will enjoy eating it with fish or meat of different kinds.Rice is a common food in most countries and children are really fund of eating it any day or time.

Rice could be really healthy food. However, the nutrients you get heavily depends on the kind of rice you consume. A few studies have shown that white rice could raise your blood sugar levels and I think this might sound strange due to the fact that rice does not contain that much sugar at all. However, since white rice have really high glycemic index, this is why it might have an effect on your blood sugar levels. So do not eat white rice in a regular way. You may need to switch to brown rice if you want to eat rice without worrying about diabetes.

Rice could be really healthy food. However, the nutrients you get heavily depends on the kind of rice you consume. A few studies have shown that white rice could raise your blood sugar levels and I think this might sound strange due to the fact that rice does not contain that much sugar at all. However, since white rice have really high glycemic index, this is why it might have an effect on your blood sugar levels. So do not eat white rice in a regular way. You may need to switch to brown rice if you want to eat rice without worrying about diabetes.
I think have seen brown rice before , but haven't tasted it. I hope it's as sweet as white rice.