Does age matter when hiring employees?

Bookwormlux

Valued Contributor
In some countries it is still coming to see some organisation specifying clearly that people of a particular age range are not eligible to apply for certain jobs .

It is more of a discrimination and I do not think that such thing or two be considered at all .
The problem is that if your country doesn't have any specification about how things like this should be done , it is likely that they will continue to happen for as long as possible .

I really want to know how it is being done in your own country , and whether or not individuals usually are being discriminated based on their age range when applying for job opportunities .

Also what are the benefits of hiring somebody because of their age ?

Do you think that age plays any role in how a person's productivity or their being able to deliver in their jobs can be determined ?

Personally , I believe that it is a matter of self discipline and how dedicated anyone is in their job . A young person who is really dedicated can do what he is expected to do no matter what. Same goes to people who are considered to be too old for certain job roles.
What do you think ?

EKUSANI

Age does mor really matter when hiring .but in some culture and the nature of the job I need hiring for age really matter.for example if a work as to do with the people.herw in my country Nigeria age does not really matter because what is really matter here is certificate wether u know what I are doing or not ,what they care for If having a good certificate.amd in most case age or certificate will not secure a job for u if u do not have a god father.but in company that has to do with adult age will be consider is a must.another thing I will like to talk about is any organization that ask for masters degree ,and Many more degree shld not consider age as their primary qualifications because those who graduate from university here in Nigeria are up to age even if they wr under age during admissions.the reason and say that is because we spent more a our course year . because of strike.amd lazy and issues from the government.so let people from Nigeria should be consider for employment because it always painful and hard to believe that we will spend another years home.

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
In the business culture here the age is a big factor although there is no written rule about it. When there is a “tie” for candidates to a position the age is used as the tie-breaker. When I was an employee it is a common notion that it would be hard to find a job when I reach 40. But sometimes there is an exception like when I applied for a job at age 44 and was easily accepted after I passed the written exam. However, I was friends with the vice president so you can guess that I was hired because of my connection. In fairness to me I did my best to prove that I deserve the position of a bank officer. It was not easy though because I was under a strict boss. Anyway, when I was the one who handled the interview of applicants I have to admit that age is a factor to me. However, when the age difference is not more than 5 years then it’s not an issue. But think if there are 2 candidates that 1 is younger by 10 years, which candidate would you choose?

Mika

VIP Contributor
I think age should matter while hiring employees. For instance, if you are applying for an air hostess job, you need to be young and energetic. If you are past 40 years, you might have health-related complications when flying. If you are applying for a teller job in a bank, you also need to be young because this job is a specifically entry-level job. However, if you are applying for CEO, you need to be at least 50 years because the job wants you to be very experienced. Likewise, managerial level positions are for middle-aged people. In the sales department, young girls are required because they are good at persuading customers, mostly men.

Abigael

Valued Contributor
I agree with you that age does not have to matter at all when hiring employees. What matters most is their ability to deliver the responsibilities given and provide the skills that the company asks for. Therefore, if you are young or old but able to do the work, then you should be hired.

The only times that age matters and this is what most companies in my country follow include;

1. Some jobs are not to be done by minors due to the heavy work done and it may also hinder with the minor's study time. That is why most jobs will require that you have a national ID, which is owned by people who are 18 years and above.

2. Some jobs have a retirement limit. Especially those pensionable government jobs. Therefore if you are already in the retirement age set, then you won't be hired for the job.

Whenever these two factors don't apply, it age is not a problem. There are do many jobs that even young people can do well in. Moreover, there are jobs that require the wisdom of a retired old person. Such include consultation businesses that offer advice to people and other companies.

Rachael

Verified member
When hiring employees, age matters a lot and anyone who says otherwise is not being logical although we have our diverse opinions on any matter. Age matters a lot and even in some advert for job vacancies, age limit is being stated and this is most common with the banking sector. There is actually no way a 90-year old man would be employed to be a customer care agent in the banking sector no matter how intelligent he could be, at such age, there is every high possibility that he may have some partial hearing impairments and also he might have some issues with seeing clearly and also attending to customers complaint swiftly.

There are even some companies that if you are above 45 years of age, the chances of hiring you might be very slim. Even most private schools recently do not higher people who are above 50 years of age because they need smart teachers who can understand the modern children and age. At times, these restriction on age do affect a lot of people especially in my country, where you would apply for a job after graduating and a benchmark of 5 or 10 years experience to be qualified for the job is needed and such criteria can keep you waiting till you become old and face such challenge.

btaliat

VIP Contributor
There is need for age consideration while applying and even hiring an employee. Most time, the reason for this may be pyschological, physical and even mental couple with professionalism with experience.

There is no way a teenager can handle the same situation with the way of an adult will handle a situation. Most time, a teenager will easily be carried away with emotion because he may not even know how to handle a tough situation.

Physically, there are some things that a teenager can not handle physically. We cannot be comparing the strength of a teen with an adult. Likewise, there are some jobs that requires a teen blood. Just like someone clearly illustrated above, a flight attendant should be in her prime.

Mentally, there is consideration on the elderly person compare to the teenagers. Psysiologically speaking, mentally state of mind expands based on age. This means for a stable mental state of mind, then we need to be focused on age in some business organisation.

The only thing that I don't really like while employing people is the fact that most organisations do demand for experience, I think this may be unfair on young graduates who may not have working experience but they are qualified the jobs they wish to take.

Augusta

VIP Contributor
I think age should only apply to jobs that needs some certain kind of people but if it is a job anyone can do without considering age as a limiting factor then I see no need for age consideration.

like teaching job that even need a lot of mature people then age shouldn't be a problem, provided the person has all it takes to give a good teaching to students such a person should be considered despite the age.

but when it comes to sporting events that age is really important because of f the nature of the job then age should be considered. I think job Seekers shouldn't really be discriminated because of only the age. others factors for employment to me is more important than age limit.

TOZZIBLINKZ

VIP Contributor
In my country Nigeria 18 years is said to be a working age . 18 years except to be an issue with an individual is considered to be part of the working class in a particular country . Yet most business organisations owners and employers do not see this age as the requisite age and individual should be employed . some of them do think that even at the age of 18 and individual is still lacking some knowledge about how a business is runned and control .

It is high time that business owners managers and employers understand that gone are the days when age is said to be a restriction to who get a job and who doesn't get a job . Because even an individual below the age of 20 can own control and establish a business of his choice . Youthful mind and youthful ideas in the act of business practices and activities should be the goal of every business owner toward his employees . Individuals that are still young should make up part of a business owners employees sector , because they were young we are the more likely we are to boost productivity in a particular business organisation .

Kendy

Verified member
Inasmuch as we do not have control of our age regulations but age matters when it comes to jobs. It gets so depressing in countries like mine, where a graduate would be through with school yet roams the street for greener pastures yet no job opportunities and no money to set up a business. As the time is going, age is adding up and before an individual can find an opportunity, it gets so hard because the companies or organizations would either have an age limit or ask for 5 or 10 years experience. From where exactly? Where would the experience have been gotten from where there are no employment opportunities and now getting a job is based on man know man or god fatherism, which makes it difficult.

However, age matters in a job. I worked in an organization and during my short stay since I was on a primary assignment, I encountered a situation where a man of about 65 years of age applied for the position of customer care, although he was eloquent in speech but he was not agile or smart to work, so he was turned down because the company wants people that can keep up with customers demands and complaints at a quicker pace.