How to Buy a Domain and Hosting For Your First Website

Jasmine

VIP Contributor
In order to launch your website, you need a domain and hosting. Now, you might want to know what kind of domain and hosting you need.

Even though dot com is the most popular choice, you do not have to necessarily buy a dot com domain. It is difficult to get the domain name of your choice with dot com because it is extensively used. If you are bent up on getting a dot com, you will end up using variations of the name, for instance if you were thinking about registering healthy eating dot com, you might end up using healthy food eating 1234 dot com (because most of the name you can think of are already taken for dot com domain). However, if you look for other extensions, you might be able to register the domain name of your choice.

When you are buying a domain, you need to be very careful because some domains can be blacklisted in case it is an expired domain and previous owner used it for illegal purpose. You should also never use a free domain names because in most cases free domains are being used for spam and scam, and might be blocked by search engines.

If you are new, start with shared hosting, also try to use a hosting that gives you a free domain and free SSL.

Mika

VIP Contributor
When I launched my first website, I chose a dot com. I was .lucky to get a domain name of my choice. However, my second domain was not a dot com, it was dot org, my third domain was sot xyz. When it comes to SEO, what domain extension you use does not really matter, however, when it comes to getting traffic mostly referral traffic and direct traffic, extension matters because people do not easily trust websites that are using extensions other than dot come, mainly the new extensions. You cannot change people's perceptions overnight. Most of the popular sites are using dot com.