Is it rude to ask for your salary from your employer?

Etini

Valued Contributor
So my friend works for an organization and the day for them to get paid is due. As with every normal workplace, they give two to three days believing that management is trying to sort themselves out and make the payment. Three days after the due date, there is no information on when they would be paid apart from side talks. Everyone begins to get worried. My friend stepped into the office of the owner of the organization and asks the owner when they would be paid. The owner gets infuriated and tells him it is rude for him to ask about when he would be paid.
When my friend relayed it to me, I was shocked because I don't understand how asking about my salary is rude. My friend said the owner told him that the owner doesn't owe staff and they would surely be paid. I want to know if it is truly rude to ask your boss about your salary.

E

eldavis

I believe the answer to this is yes and at the same time no. My reason for saying this is cause where i am currently working, my date of payment is completely different from other staffs, so once it gets to my date i always drop my account on the office group chat as a reminder that i have not been paid cause for some reasons he always forgets. Then again there are times where he gets angry when we remind him as he sees it as an insult. There are other persons who do not mind being reminded as they do not read any meaning to it in any way.

King bell

VIP Contributor
It's not rude to ask for your salary from your employer, but it is important to be respectful and professional when doing so. If you're feeling underpaid or like you're not being compensated fairly, it's perfectly reasonable to ask your boss for a raise. However, it's important to approach the conversation in a calm and respectful way. If you're feeling angry or upset, it's best to wait until you've calmed down before bringing up the topic.

When you do speak to your boss about your salary, be sure to explain why you're asking for a raise. If you have a good reason for why you deserve more money, your boss will be more likely to take your request seriously. It's also important to be prepared to negotiate. If your boss isn't able to give you the raise you're asking for, be willing to compromise and negotiate a fair salary that you're both happy with.

Shaf

Verified member
I don't believe it's rude to ask for your pay when it is past the due date. Asking before time can be considered so though.

I would have allowed a week to go by to be sure that they will not pay. Every

employer should start planning for salaries by the time half of the working period has gone by so you can solve any issues that may arise before the day comes around.

This would boost the morale of the staff and they can do what is necessary to keep your business at top speed. These people also have bills to pay which won't wait once they are due, and if they are constantly distracted about how to pay them, you won't get their best at work.
If your staff should ask about their pay, it's good to respond in a way that keeps them reassured. They should also ask about it in a polite manner.