Should Your Employer Know of Your Side Hustle?

Shaf

Verified member
Some employers have started including this in their terms of employment, even prohibiting their staff from using their phones during work hours.

It is very possible that having a side hustle can lead to disruptions which make you less productive at your 9-5 job. This may lead to problems with your employer and may even cause you to lose the job.

On the contrary, some employers encourage you and even engage in the side hustle if they find it profitable for you.

Ethically, would it be a wise idea to let your boss know you are involved in any side hustle?

TOZZIBLINKZ

VIP Contributor
Not in all cases it is necessary for an organisational employee to inform his or her manager or employer about his or her former side hustle and that is because not all side hustles actually involve the existence of his or her owner physically for it to grow especially those who make money online as a side hustle coupled with their regular nine-to-five job. But in a case where a regular nine-to-five job owner establishes an offline business, then it could be necessary for him or her to inform his or her employer and manager about the offline business in which he or she has totally established so that the manager him or herself may not expect the employee to be available always and whenever.

Most organisational employer may never like the fact that their employees establishes an offline business to earn more income and that is because it may slow their progress and the ability to be effective in handling organisational goals and objectives. The best alternative to earn more income as an employee in a business organisation is actually by making money online which is considered to be less stressful and less time consuming.

Activator230822

Verified member
For me I would say this; It's of no importance for my boss to know my side hustles. This is because most bosses don't like their employees to engage in different hustles apart from theirs.
This is because employers think that the employees with their own hustles would not be productive on the business or company as they would be concentrating on their hustles.
The most bad thing is even when you're side hustle is related in one way or the other to the kind of a Job you always do on the work place.
So it's better you keep it as a secret to yourself.

Etini

Valued Contributor
I think your employer should know your side hustle so he/ she won't eat too much into your time. It would help you to define the terms of your engagement with him. My former manager while working on our organization told the owner of the organization that he is a freelance web designer. He was usually allowed to leave earlier than anyone else because of that. I believe that it is right to let your employer know about your other side hustles.

In other instances, it might not be all positive though. Your employer might feel you have other sources of income and find it comfortable to delay your salary. I use to define my terms of engagement and let you know the other things I am doing. Your employer can even patronize you. I think it is good to let your employer know about your side hustle. You have to be cautious though so they don't get the wrong message.

saoussen5765

Valued Contributor
@Etini sometimes it is not good to say that you are doing freelancing staff because there are agencies working on Upwork or Fiverr so for them do freelance staff is agency direct concuration, or the employer wants that you fully concentrate on your work not freelance commitments.