Should your parents choose your career for you?

Kennysplash

Verified member
Most teenagers experience the pressure of career choice from their parents. They are already planning out for you what you will be in the future before you even think about it. What do you think about this?
There is nothing wrong in parents suggesting career paths, we need them to guide us through it all. But it becomes wrong when a particular career is made mandatory. We should be able to choose our future, what we know is best for us and purposeful. Our career should be our call, they can only guide us. So anyone that faces this pressure should respectfully explain why they feel there is something else, something better for and not just what is being forced on them.

Hagson1

As an individual, it is very bad for my parents to choose career for me. What they can only do is to advise me but not to choose for me because it can be want they want me to do that's not want I find joy in doing it. But if am allowed to choose myself, I will bring out my best in that particular thing.

Jonaville

While it may not be bad to suggest a career for there children, parents need to understand that the ultimate choice and decision lies on the children themselves.
Forcing a career on a child does not always end well because he will not engage in it wholeheartedly. And we all know what results from doing something we have no passion for. So parents should leave their children with the choice to pick their own careers, because it is theThey can only guide them, but

Akinwumi wale

Most teenagers experience the pressure of career choice from their parents. They are already planning out for you what you will be in the future before you even think about it. What do you think about this?
There is nothing wrong in parents suggesting career paths, we need them to guide us through it all. But it becomes wrong when a particular career is made mandatory. We should be able to choose our future, what we know is best for us and purposeful. Our career should be our call, they can only guide us. So anyone that faces this pressure should respectfully explain why they feel there is something else, something better for and not just what is being forced on them.
While it may not be bad to suggest a career for there children, parents need to understand that the ultimate choice and decision lies on the children themselves.
Forcing a career on a child does not always end well because he will not engage in it wholeheartedly. And we all know what results from doing something we have no passion for. So parents should leave their children with the choice to pick their own careers, because it is theThey can only guide them, but
It's true parents are the custodians of their children and have the right to train their children in the best way possible both education wise and spiritual wise, so parents can have a say in what kinds of career their children choose, but just a say it is, parents should not tell their children to follow their own choice of career or the career they like the children to have because a child might be good in something else different from what the parents want, the choice of career should be solely that of the child to make, the parents can only advise them but should not choose for them.

It's true parents are the custodians of their children and have the right to train their children in the best way possible both education wise and spiritual wise, so parents can have a say in what kinds of career their children choose, but just a say it is, parents should not tell their children to follow their own choice of career or the career they like the children to have because a child might be good in something else different from what the parents want, the choice of career should be solely that of the child to make, the parents can only advise them but should not choose for them.

Ummigal

I totally agree with you. The role of the parent is to guide the children and that guidance is made possible through the years of experience of the parent. Your kids need to be prepared to take on the world. For example, if you have a child that says he want to study dancing in school because he loves dancing, I would not encourage him and he wouldn't do that on my own money. He can get his first degree in a in a more lucrative field, then go on to study dancing with his own money when he gets a good job.
This is a major reason while we have lots of graduates that are unemployed, because they can't apply the courses they studied in school in the larger society

D

Deleted member 27583

When we are all young,our parents use to do that to us because why! We are young we can't say know to them,because if we do no one or nobody will sponsor us... Unlike now that everything has change ,most of our girls now are runs girl,and the boys into internet fraud...
So no one at there school fees,they are the one sponsoring their self. So kids that belong to that category can't be control on what to do... So they can decide what to do on their own,although most of them made mistake and their will be like I'd I had known I would have listening to what my aren't were telling me and some of them scale through and become someone good in what he or she want to become..

IamDozzy

Basically, I would urge all teenagers to plead with their parents to only act as a guide towards their career choice rather than an enforcer. So many University students are currently studying courses chosen by their parents instead of the courses they find fulfillment in. Most University students are very frustrated with their courses because they do not find joy and happiness in studying courses foisted on them by their parents. Some career persons are also frustrated at work due to lack of fulfillment. I would also plead with parents in this forum to acts a guide in their wards career choices, you must not fulfill your desires through your children.

Josemendez

Verified member
Thank you for bringing up this topic to the forum . There has been many failures in career choice due to parents choosing career for their children ,even when they know that it is not a career that the child like .

Parents can direct and guide their children towards several jobs available ,but choosing a job for them is something that is not quite right. Careers should be something that whoever wants to engage in it should accept wholeheartedly ,in order to be able to accept give in the best in getting through with the career

Donkiz

Parents are usually concerned about the future of their children, and that's why they always try to create a career path for them as early as possible, while hoping that the they follow the already drawn path, which parents believe will help the child succeed in life.

Most times when the child is growing, he/she will have no choice but to be walking through the career path created by the parents, until the child starts struggling because that's not the part for him. But some parents doesn't want it to look like they chose the wrong career for the child, hence they start forcing their decision on the child.

The best way to go about your child career as parents is to have an open mind, and acknowledge the fact that the child can decide to do something different from what you had in mind when he/she comes of age, that way you will not feel bad when it happens.

Mataracy

VIP Contributor
Choosing career for someone is not ideal at all. One should be able to choose career for oneself because if they choose career for someone the person will just be doing the work for doing sake and will not be doing it with passion.
Most parient do force their children to do what they don't want to do which is harmful to their future. Its very important that one should choose the type of work they know how to do well instead of forcing oneself to do the work. If you choose by yourself you will be able to be free and be creative on the work that is you will be expert in the Field.

marcusfe

I don't think that is a good idea. A child might have a passion for a particular thing which might look stupid to the parent, the duty of a good parent is to engage the child in a peaceful discussion to make the child see why he/she may not go for such career. Parents should never force their children into choosing any career. As God created everyone He has imputed some virtue in us that is closely related to the purpose of our living.

Nii41

Gone are the days when parents will choose the course you will study in school. The most common courses then for parents were medicine and law. It is not wise to select the course your child/ward will study because they are the ones who will actually read all those books and understand the course, in a case where the child's mind is not into it, he/she will perform poorly. These days parents hardly choose what their children will read. A child should be allowed to follow the career path they so desire. Not all of them will make it using their degree, some will end up learning skills that will take them to places, for others, it will be their talent.

Maks25

I think the things we are exposed to when we are very young affect our career choices more than our gifts (if we ever have the opportunity to discover them). If a successful lawyer wants to "dictate" the career of his child, he can cultivate the interest in the child at a very young age. Make him/her love the career from infancy. The child would make the choice naturally. As the child gets older, it gets difficult.

Abu4exel

It is good a times and on the other it not. Parent should know that, in future if the advice of chosen a career backfire, it will come to their own blame and the child will continue to blame them for rest of his or her life. So, it is advisable to allow them (children)to choose their career path themselves. We can only guide them with an advice.

Kendy

Verified member
No, it is a wrong decision for a parent to choose a career for his child or children. The parents can only guide the child but forcing the child and threatening not to pay fees is legally, morally and psychologically wrong. This menace has caused a lot of chaos in the lives of many individuals. Prior to this time courses like; music, dancing, rapping and acting was seen as an unworthy and demeaning career most especially in my country. To be candid, there was this stereotype mindset that those involved in music, most especially when it is not religious related are gambling with their future and have no ultimate sense of purpose and even dancing was almost seen as a taboo if a child chooses such course to study. It could even lead to the parents disowning them but today, musicians, dancers, and even footballers are turning the table and they are more prominent and making it more than those career that seems to have prestige. A father will frown at his children becoming a footballer but he will put on the generator when there is no light just to watch the likes of Ronaldo and Messi and this makes me wonder if they too are not footballers! This mindset has to be abolished because this has made individuals to remain stagnated.

funmi

Verified member
I strongly disagree with that position, as an educationists i know exactly what means for parent to interfer in their children's career path. This always plays a negative role in the lives of the children as the children will sometimes get confused as to what they ought to actually be in life because their parents is the one making all the decision for them. There should certainly be a level at which the parent can have an interference and they need to stop at some point and begin to give the children some space to develope themselves. This is why we have schools like montoseri where the teachers there will take their time to study the child and carry out complex study to know key areas where the child is technically showing some unique skills. And they will begin to nurture those skills and allow it to develop this is the best type of development you can give a child that will make that child to actualize their full potentials. This is how to go with children rather than forcing them or modelling them into what they do not consider as the best for themselves. Parent should allow their children to exhibit their children's natural skills.

LoukiaCharilaou

Valued Contributor
Good evening from my region. Hope you are all doing well. The topic you have chosen is very interesting indeed. I fully agree with everything you mention in your thread. In my opinion, parents should advise and guide their children because they have the wisdom of life and of course, they are the only ones who really love and care about their children. But certainly, parents should not choose a career for their children. They should let their children choose the career they prefer and love otherwise they will never be happy.

Sotherefore

VIP Contributor
Personally I am not interested because I have to put so many things into consideration when choosing a career and presently I am matured enough to take the right decision in terms of career, life plans and preparations.

Sometimes the parents may not be in a position to choose what the the child is passionately interested and I can't imagine engaging in something that I am not passionate about or something I haven't research on to really know about it future potential.

Now it is even much easier with the help of an internet for people to research and know the best career opportunities for them. I don't have any problem with career as I am now . The only thing that is needed is just the required money needed to actualize the whole thing and make it comes into reality. I have already decide how my life should be .

Ithedicious

Valued Contributor
Personally NO , I am not interested for them to choose a career opportunity for me because I just believe that it may not work out in the sense that I have so many things to do on my own and if they have to choose a career opportunity for me they might tend to choose something I am not particularly interested to do and that is when a lot of parents might likely start having problem with their children and they might start thinking that their children is not willing to obey them which might even lead to more complicated issue.

You may not know my hidden talents. I know what I am interested to do and when I focus on it I will try as much as possible to achieve what I need. I will gladly ask the advice of my parents in some of the things I may not understand concerning my career path