Why parents should choose careers for their children!!!!

Bookwormlux

Valued Contributor
Most of the time, it is common to see a lot of talks about career,s and the career counselors are always saying things like, parents should not be the ones to choose what their children want to be in the future but I bet to differ on this issue, because there are so many reasons I believe parents choosing career for their children is going to be the best option and would be the major happening in the near future.

I have my reasons for doing this and I believe that You too would share what you think about this.

- Parents have better experience and the original the kind of jobs that are setting in our world today unlike children that do not really have any experience at all.

- Most of the children are only following what their peers really want to do and know that there that person is like you may be thinking .

There is actually no need saying parents should not choose the career for their children when it is obvious that if they do not do so, their children will definitely choose a career that is influenced by their friends.

What do you think about this?

Rachael

Verified member
I do not agree with this mode of reasoning. What happens if the child still decide not to follow the career path his parent chooses? Do you know, some parents go as far as threatening their children and the obviously see nothing wrong with it and how it can affect the child psychologically. No matter the level of experience a parent think he or she has, you should let your children explore the necessities of life on their own. They should be able to have and build their own experiences. The best thing you can do is suggest a career goal to them but if their decision does not rhyme with yours, then give them all the support they could possibly need. Would you rather prefer your child engage in a career which he has no passion for, constant low grades and sooner or later displays lackadaisical attitude. Even if they are choosing their careers because of peer pressure, then you should let them pursue it, it would make them motivated and adapt to the course. Parents would always want to choose careers which they feel is more prominent in the society like; doctor, nurses, lawyer, engineers but in reality, most of these professions are not even earning well especially in lower-tier countries. Instead the career path which was sidelined like, music, singing, dancing, footballer is making the waves.

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
To be frank, I am against the idea of the parents to be choosing the career of their children. That happened in our family. There were 4 of us boys. My father chose civil engineering course for our eldest. After 2 years of college my brother quit and got hitched by a girl. The 2nd eldest took an aeronautical engineering course. Just like the eldest, this elder brother finished only 2 years of college and quit. After some time he got married. I am the 3rd in the brood and my father didn’t interfere in my choice. I know that he wanted an engineering course because that was his dream that he was not able to fulfill. Anyway, I enrolled in a business management course and after graduation I landed a good job in a bank. At least my father showed his appreciation for my achievement and I saw him happy. Do I need to say more?

Suba

Staff member
Although many children are following their parents' careers out there, but every child will of course have different talents, abilities and desires from their parents, so it would be better if parents only guide and direct them to achieve the career they want instead of forcing their parents' will. , and children are expected to be able to make decisions to choose their careers in the future

sincerem

VIP Contributor
I do agree somewhat, children do have their life to live after undergoing training from parents. When I was growing up, my mom asked me what will I love to be in life, I told her what I intended being. She didn't block my choice or set random career to follow. She gave me that free will to choose for myself. So, tomorrow there will be no such excuses as to who led you to make your choice of course in the institution. Since the individual made the choice, his or her parents wouldn't be blamed and failure will be deemed surplus to requirements around them, but instead the child bears the consequences when he or she fails to hit the stride up and running after making a career decision.

funmi

Verified member
This is a common phenomenon here in Africa, it is only here that I have seen that parents will just impose a profession on their children all because they could not achieve those profession for themselves when they were much younger and they try to now force it on their children even against the wish of their children. This i consider very wrong. I think children should be given the opportunity to make their choices based on their abilities, everyone most definitely have a unique ability and should be given the opportunity to explore it and should also be encouraged to explore it rather than been forced into a course they have no passion for. This is why I believed we are where we are today in Africa as many of us are into what we do not like doing, hence the propensity of failing in such carry is very high as compared to doing what we truly love to do. I have seen people who spend over 10years in medical school and they keep on struggling and not graduating because they never wanted to do it in the first place, but was forced there hence they are not making any progress.

Kingsley

Valued Contributor
Many may think otherwise and argue that parents can not or should not pick a career prospect for their wards but if we consider it more carefully we will still see reasons as to why parents can still pick a career path for their children. Although I know parents sometimes makes that decision in error based on their own preferences as the child may likely have some other innate skills that the parents are yet to discover and appreciate. So parents sometimes imposes their own views on their children most times unconsciously. But this is not suppose to be the case. But there is something we must also learn to accept that parents are in the right position to tell their children what is actually right to do as these children most times makes choices that are not consider wise enough, maybe due to their level of experience and expose. Now in the real light of it parents are much more experienced and exposed and for this reason they are better placed to give an advice that will be more profitableto their children as compared to the type of decisions the children will make for themselves. This is just the frank truth.

Sotherefore

VIP Contributor
To me it is wrong base on my own point of view for the parent to choose a career for the children. The reason is because so many things are to be put into consideration when thinking of choosing a career or when you are deciding a child's future..

The only way I will encourage the parents to choose a career for a child is only when the parents is very much certain about the child's talent and in this case if the child has to deviate into something he or she does not know it is the responsibility of the parents to rather advise the child on what to do..

Personally I believe that as a parents you are only have to advice in this area and not to really give a strict order on what a child has to do in the future . Sometimes the decision may not really be what interest the child. Let them decide then you advised.

Jasmine

VIP Contributor
Parents should not choose careers for the kids. This is a wrong notion. My father retired from teaching profession. He never knew of a profession called content creator until became a content creator. Today, I am happy with my chosen profession. Would he have been able to choose the right profession? Parents do not have ideas on new jobs and professions, they do not know the new career prospects. However, i believe we need to choose the middle path, we need to consult our parents and listen to their advice. While they might not be able to give us best career advice, their advice will of course help us grow in our career as we can always learn lesson from their experience. When choosing a career, you need to see what your interests are, what you are good at, and how much money making potential does your chosen career have.

Rubz

I'm sorry to say that i do not agree with you on this. I believe that no matter what the case might be, parents should never force their decisions on their children when it comes to choosing careers. The children are the ones going to end up being stuck with that career and so they have rights to make their decision on the career they want to go into. Parents just ought to act as a guide and explain to their kids on the advantages and disadvantages of a particular career and not to force their decisions on their children.

Augusta

VIP Contributor
when it comes to the choice of a career I think parents should take a back seat and only support what the child want to become. The career is for the child and not for the parents and as such such decision should rest on the head of the child so that he can make the best of whatever career he or she have chosen.

I am of the view that there are some things or areas of a child's life that a parent shouldn't interfere aside marriage another area should be that of a career. A child will be passionate about a career he or she has chosen for himself or herself I have seen a child that was trained as a medical doctor because that is what the parent wanted for him. finished medical school and still came out to be a musician.in my own opinion that was a total waste of money and effort by the parents.

Etini

Valued Contributor
This is wrong on so many levels. Parents should let children choose their careers. They can only guide and advise. At the end of the day, the ultimate choice rests with the child. Nobody knows an individual more than the individual himself/ herself. It is pertinent to allow a person to make a career choice based on the first-hand information they have about themselves.

Rezponsibukuty is what everyone should take at one point in life. And being able to choose your career independently is a great mark of responsibility. This is a stepping stone into a lifetime of responsibility and decision-making.

I don't have regrets in my life because I defied my parent's orders and stick to what I wanted to do in life. I ran my passion. My parents wanted me to be a medical doctor or engineer but I always found peace in agriculture. Today, I am better off for it.

Ithedicious

Valued Contributor
To me experience does not really matter in this situation because a parent may not really understand the hidden talent of a child and choosing a career for your child may not be the best option because a child who is in high School should be able to know what he or she is interested to do in the future.

This is something our parent has been doing to most people in the past , but in most cases they are trying to force a child to go into something the child may not be particularly interested and sometimes it may end up affecting the child because they may tends to feel bad when they performed poorly just because it is not something that interests them.

I believe that the main job and responsibilities of the parents related to their children carrier is only to advise them on the best career opportunities and not to choose for them.