Health Insurance Will Health Insurance Cover Pregnancy?

kayode10

VIP Contributor
As we all know that health insurance is done basically to cater for the hospital expenses when one is sick or receiving treatment.

Those who are buoyant enough ensure that all their family members are under comprehensive health insurance.

Pregnancy is a stage in which majority of the women will pass at least once in their entire life.

It is being said that raising a child properly starts from pregnancy. This is the reason why it is very good to prepare adequately for this phase as a couple.

It is very important for a pregnant women to go for prenatal regularly. Series of scans and tests usually occur in prenatal.

So I want to ask you guys that can health insurance cover the expenses made during the pregnancy?

btaliat

VIP Contributor
What will the insurance cover? Will the insurance cover the pregnant woman against any risk of losing the baby? Will it cover any health related issue that may arise during the pregnancy? Or will it cover the baby as well? All these questions may make difficult for insurance to cover pregnancy.

Jamoflondon

Verified member
To my understanding, I think health insurance covers pregnancy, I mean it provides coverage for anything relating to health issue. And pregnancy is well related to it so I see no reason why it will not cover it. When a woman is pregnant, it’s almost like she is sick until she put to bed

btaliat

VIP Contributor
A woman is not the same thing as a sick woman. I am not saying health insurance cannot cover pregnancy, but it should be only health matters during the pregnancy. For instance, going for antenatal care is not an health issue and may not be covered by the health insurance

Mataracy

VIP Contributor
This write up topic look some how funny to me. To my own understanding I believe that once insurance policy will be explain in details to the insured person before taking it up and if not favourable to the person I know she will not take it.
So if insurance company has insured the woman(the container or carrier of the baby) definitely they must take care of any expenses concerning her health.

Mandy96

Valued Contributor
Normally all health insurance covers pregnancy. Because it covers all health conditions that the insured might encounter of which pregnancy is one of them. But I don’t think this aspect is necessary for a man, only a woman gets pregnant so it is not a case for everyone unless you are a female

dagm

To my comprehending, I believe health and wellness insurance coverage deals with maternity, I imply it offers protection for everything associating with health and wellness problem. As well as maternity is actually effectively associated with it therefore I view no reason it will certainly certainly not deal with it.

kayode10

VIP Contributor
A woman is not the same thing as a sick woman. I am not saying health insurance cannot cover pregnancy, but it should be only health matters during the pregnancy. For instance, going for antenatal care is not an health issue and may not be covered by the health insurance
I agree with your submission to an extent. But what if the pregnant woman showing sign of sickness and need urgent attention. There was a situation around me here whereby a pregnant woman who was bleeding as a result of overworking and stress. I think health insurance should be able to cover that says they are not going to be taking care of the baby in the womb.

Mika

VIP Contributor
Whether the health insurance you have bought will cover pregnancy or not depends on the clauses of your insurance policies. If your policy exclusively mentions that it will cover the pregnancy, you will of course benefit from this insurance policy. It is always better to do research before you buy a policy.

Wisdom01

Valued Contributor
If its the agreement you have with your insurance company , I think they would basically cover for such and actually cover any financial funds that would be needed during the pregnancy time ,so it all depends if it's part of your terms with the insurance company to carry out such thing

Chibson

VIP Contributor
there is always an agreement between the insurance company and the insurer and in such cases not every health insurance covers pregnancy. If in any case you have a health insurance that covers pregnancy, then the insurance company have the responsibility of taking care of all the expenses during the period of pregnancy till the birth.

Wisdom01

Valued Contributor
there is always an agreement between the insurance company and the insurer and in such cases not every health insurance covers pregnancy. If in any case you have a health insurance that covers pregnancy, then the insurance company have the responsibility of taking care of all the expenses during the period of pregnancy till the birth.
Maybe that's why the insurance company would actually have to do all the necessary medical checkup , before insuring the person health risk , because they need to Know if the person is pregnant or have any sickle cell illness , before making agreement with the insurer on the next step to take on insuring I think