How much exercise does one really need?

E

eldavis

from time to time we must have probably heard about how exercises plays an important role in the body, but could there actually be a case where exercise might be too much?
personally I believe in every stage and age we find ourselves in life, there is a particular amount of stress and work loads our body can carry. let's say for example, a young adult within the age of 20 to 25, should be able to carry out more physical activities than someone around the age 60 and above.
we have various reasons for working out, some do it just to loose weight, while others do it simply for the health benefits and there are some who just want to remain fit.
most persons assume to loose weight, they have to over stress their muscles all in the name of exercise, but one major secret to weight loss is releasing more fat than you consume. most beginners have made the mistake of over stressing their muscles, at the end of the day they get pains and torn out muscles.
The amount of time you spend on workouts should be determined by the kind of exercise you do. for adults, 30 to 75 minutes is more than enough if you are into vigorous-intensity exercise. there should also be days where you carry out less vigorous workouts, lifting of weights should be done at least twice a week, to strengthen the muscles. As we age, the muscles in our hands and legs becomes weaker, lifting weights would help strengthen them.
For teens and young adults, 60 minutes or more of high activity exercises should be enough, note there should also be a day set aside to rest. While for the kids, being active in sports like swimming, dancing, running and the likes is good exercise for them, it also teaches them how to be more social and helps their brain function better for studies.
For pregnant women, older adults and probably some persons with one chronic illness or the other, it would be wise to seek the advice of a professional before you embark on any kind of exercise.

Ajebo25

Verified member
Thanks for your informative post I will start exercising too and I hope to see the benefits to add to what you said, exercise is really good for the body expesially for people who wants to lose weight and fat they tend to worl out daily but exercise and diet goes hand in hand, if you excercise daily but eat bad diet it will be useless for people who wants to Lose fat they tend to keep to some certain type of low fat and cholesterol foods like fish and vegitables.

Excersise also helps the heart as daily excersise tend to keep the heart going well, there was a time I was in primary school and I used to run 400m I usually won bronze cause of my talent and endurance to be able to run at a good distance but now I noticed I can't run they way I used to I was scared cause I thought something was wrong with me medically I immediately went to the hospital and I was told by the doctor the reason for the change, I was told it was lack of exercises which I use to do when I was younger now I can't run a mile with out having high blood pressure which is really bad I will try and exercise more offen.

SensationalEd

Exercise is needed in everyday live...
You must make sure you exercise once or twice a week
Doesn't mean u need to do all types of exercise.. a little running in the morning can help, a little situps can go along way to long life.

sincerem

VIP Contributor
At this point in time, I don't care much about how much time I am dedicating to body exercises. I know it is very necessary for me, at least to preserve good health. Due to the nature of my job being online, I am limited to lengthy or routine exercises, I do train my body when I have enough time. And it's just once in a week, at times once in two weeks. Maybe when I've achieved my online goal, I can begin to settle down and engage more on physical fitness to keep my body fit all the time and avoiding undue body fatigue.

TOZZIBLINKZ

VIP Contributor
You don't have to be sleeping at the gym day and night in order to prove that you are exercising your body . to exercise your body you must devote a considerate and positive amount of your time for your routine regular exercises and it does not mean that you have to participate in all type of exercise but rather performing simple exercises like running , skipping , push-ups , pull up , and sit-ups are very essential to keep the body in full motion . And according to research and studies it has been scientifically and medically proven that exercise like the one listed above are very essential and responsible for the increasing of body metabolism process . Exercise I meant to keep the body in full motion making it not in a fragile state because our bones and muscles are being built as we exercise regularly .

Exercising is also seen as a way to reduce weight effectively , majority of individuals seeking for ways to lose weight the right man can indulge in varieties of exercise like the ones listed above so as to burn fat accuracy and effectively . Taking of shortcut in order to burn fat like drinking and swallowing off slim-fitting and weight loss tea and pills will not help and it is medically proven to have devastating and disappointing side effects later on in the future .

Bookwormlux

Valued Contributor
I really do not believe in the fact that we need so much exercise to keep our self fit at all .

The fact is that, a lot of us are not living sedentary lifestyles , and as such we are always exercising our body by getting engaged in one activity or the other that works to make sure that we are always losing some calories everyday .

There is actually no need for an individual to continuously disturb themselves about exercise especially if you're somebody who does not just sit at home every day but you are getting involved with different activities on a daily basis .

It is only people who have not been able to discipline themselves to get engage in one or two energy-consuming activities that would bother themselves about exercise too much .

People like that are only doing it to make sure that they lose energy so as to regain back their normal health , to maintain a fit and reliable body mass index that will make them to not be prone to diseases, especially the ones that have to do with the heart .

Exercise requires a high sense of discipline and it is not easy to continuously do it.

LoukiaCharilaou

Valued Contributor
from time to time we must have probably heard about how exercises plays an important role in the body, but could there actually be a case where exercise might be too much?
personally I believe in every stage and age we find ourselves in life, there is a particular amount of stress and work loads our body can carry. let's say for example, a young adult within the age of 20 to 25, should be able to carry out more physical activities than someone around the age 60 and above.
we have various reasons for working out, some do it just to loose weight, while others do it simply for the health benefits and there are some who just want to remain fit.
most persons assume to loose weight, they have to over stress their muscles all in the name of exercise, but one major secret to weight loss is releasing more fat than you consume. most beginners have made the mistake of over stressing their muscles, at the end of the day they get pains and torn out muscles.
The amount of time you spend on workouts should be determined by the kind of exercise you do. for adults, 30 to 75 minutes is more than enough if you are into vigorous-intensity exercise. there should also be days where you carry out less vigorous workouts, lifting of weights should be done at least twice a week, to strengthen the muscles. As we age, the muscles in our hands and legs becomes weaker, lifting weights would help strengthen them.
For teens and young adults, 60 minutes or more of high activity exercises should be enough, note there should also be a day set aside to rest. While for the kids, being active in sports like swimming, dancing, running and the likes is good exercise for them, it also teaches them how to be more social and helps their brain function better for studies.
For pregnant women, older adults and probably some persons with one chronic illness or the other, it would be wise to seek the advice of a professional before you embark on any kind of exercise.
Hello everyone! Thank you very much for your informative thread about how much exercise we really need. I fully agree with everything you mention in your post. In my opinion, we all need exercise because exercise is so good for us. I think that daily exercise like walking can help us stay healthy and not put on any extra weight. Actually, daily exercise in combination with a healthy balanced diet can improve our health and keep us energetic, strong and, of course, healthy. :)

Augusta

VIP Contributor
Exercising should be something one does as regular as possible because it is one way of keeping the body fit. if you need the muscles and the joints to be as strong as it should then exercising daily should be a kind of daily routine. Since I have been on a weight loss journey I have been exercising at least 30 minutes daily and I have seen a big difference in my weight. If one intend to lose weight with exercise consistency is key

I don't think one should take an exercise that will be less than 20 minutes if one want to see rapid result and from experience to avoid boredom it should always take up different exercises so that you can enjoy it better, this way you can turn it into a lifestyle and working out becomes one of your hobby.

How much exercise does one really need? This is a question that is often debated. Some people believe that you need to exercise for at least an hour a day, while others believe that as long as you are active, you are getting the exercise you need. There are pros and cons to both sides of the argument.

Those who believe that you need to exercise for at least an hour a day say that this is the best way to stay healthy and fit. They believe that by exercising for a longer period of time, you are able to burn more calories and get your heart rate up, which are both important for a good workout. Another benefit of exercising for a longer period of time is that you are able to see results more quickly.

Those who believe that as long as you are active, you are getting the exercise you need say that it is more important to be active throughout the day than to exercise for a specific period of time. They believe that by being active, you are able to increase your heart rate and burn more calories throughout the day. Another benefit of being active is that it can help to reduce stress and improve your mood.

Both sides of the argument have valid points. However, there is no one-size-fits-all answer to the question of how much exercise one really needs. It is important to listen to your body and to find an exercise routine that works for you.

blessingc

Accordingly to wikipedia "exercise is any bodily activity that enhances or maintains physical fitness and overall health and wellness." Exercises are very much important for the well being of humans. Regular exercise can reduce the risk of many serious diseases, improve mental health and mood, and extend lifespan. Exercise benefits everyone.

When you exercise, your blood circulates better, which allows more oxygen to reach your brain and muscles, which helps you to feel more awake, alert, and energetic. It helps reduce body pain, because your muscles are always flexing and active, it relaxes and do not overstrain when you work, you work with ease. It burns down calories and reduces excessive weight or obesity.

For a good effect of your exercise you need to aim for at least 30 minutes of moderate physical activity every day. If you want to lose weight, maintain weight loss or meet specific fitness goals, you may need to exercise more. If possible do exercises till you get exhausted, till you sweat out the waste from your body. As time goes on, you can increase the number of minutes to an hour as your body adjusts to it. Much of exercise reduces your chances of getting I'll.

libertasbella

Exercise is needed in everyday live...
You must make sure you exercise once or twice a week
Doesn't mean u need to do all types of exercise.. a little running in the morning can help, a little situps can go along way to long life.

Agreed. Too many people think they have to turn into gym rats in order to look and feel halfway decent. If you want to bench four plates, more power to you, but always get your 30 minutes of exercise a day.

Sotherefore

VIP Contributor
I believe all these things will depend on people and what they need because what I need but quite be different from what other people might be interested. And as a result I will only work based on what I need .

Personally I do not need to add up the weight or gain extra muscle mass , even if I engage in exercise it is only for the main purpose of keeping my body in good shape and condition which will generally help improve blood circulation and keep the heart also in good condition and sometimes burn fat , That's all I need .

Because of this , exercising at least three times a week or two for me is not a bad idea , I do not even have the time to exercise three times a week , most of the time is just two and sometimes once depending on the time I have . That can also help me .

For people that are interested to build muscle , they will have to spend a lot of time on the gym engaging in different exercise for the building up of muscle and eating of high quality food .

ironorrfitness

Well, it depends on your goals really, but here are a few exercise guidelines from the US HHS.
  • Aerobic activity: For vigorous aerobic activities, the Department of Health and Human Services recommends approximately 75 minutes a week. For moderate-intensity workouts, they advise you to put in about 150 minutes weekly. What’s more, if you’re keen on losing weight, it's recommended to stick to at least 300 minutes of aerobic activity per week.
  • Strength training: Incorporate strength training into your week, for at least 2 to 3 days. While you’re at it, be sure to also include compound exercises that simultaneously target several muscle groups and thus offer full-body benefits.
But it’s not advisable to go with these general rules of thumbs solely. Get a professional assessment from a gym near you as a lot of factors influence how much exercise you need, including underlying health conditions, age, and much more.

alexa36

It depends on your goals. If you're looking to stay healthy and live a long life, then about 30 minutes of moderate exercise per day is recommended. If you're looking to lose weight or improve your fitness level, then you'll need to do more than 30 minutes per day.

jhoncena

The amount of exercise one needs depends on several factors, including age, health status, fitness level, and personal goals. However, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends the following general guidelines for adults:
  1. Aerobic exercise: Aim for at least 150 minutes of moderate-intensity aerobic exercise per week or 75 minutes of vigorous-intensity aerobic exercise per week. This can be broken down into shorter sessions throughout the week.
  2. Strength training: Include strength training exercises that target all major muscle groups at least two days per week.
In addition to these guidelines, the CDC also recommends that adults incorporate physical activity into their daily routine whenever possible. This can include activities such as taking the stairs instead of the elevator, walking or biking to work or school, and taking active breaks throughout the day.
It's important to note that these guidelines are general recommendations and that individual needs may vary. For example, individuals with certain health conditions or fitness goals may require more or less exercise than these guidelines suggest. It's always a good idea to speak with a healthcare professional before beginning a new exercise program to determine the best plan for your individual needs.

Rimisha

The recommended amount of exercise for adults is at least 150 minutes of moderate-intensity aerobic activity or 75 minutes of vigorous-intensity activity per week. This can be further divided into shorter sessions throughout the week. Additionally, it is beneficial to include muscle-strengthening activities at least two days per week. The specific exercise needs may vary based on individual factors, so consulting a healthcare professional is advised.