Why You Won't Like Working in a Hotel

Jasz

VIP Contributor
As the hotel industry has grown to make up a larger piece of the economy, there have been more jobs available, and many people have moved into hotels to work. However, with the increased demand for hotel workers, it is also important to remember that there are also more people trying to get these jobs. And since there are more people competing for these entry-level jobs, employers don't have to be so picky—they can afford to hire whoever they can get to do the job.

The fact is that most hotels do not care about their employees' well-being or their lives outside of work: they just want the employee to complete their tasks effectively and efficiently (and contribute to profit!). In fact, some hotels expect so much from their employees that they end up violating federal labor laws or state statutes. Here's a list of a few reasons why working in a hotel may not be for you:

1) You want your employer to care about you as a person at work and outside of work.

2) You want your employer or customers to not harass you or retaliate against you if you report them for doing something illegal or unethical.

3) You want your employer to follow applicable labor laws.

4) You want a schedule that makes sense for your life

5) You want a job and not rush hour.

5) You want a temporary conducive lodge and not a room filled with bed bugs.

Good-Guy

VIP Contributor
Well, I must say that the pandemic has actually caused a lot of harm to hotel business. This is because people were no longer traveling around the world due to the pandemic around a couple of years ago. Even today, many people are still not traveling due to the fact that many countries have really tiresome and annoying policies regarding Covid-19 vaccinations. Not all the people in the world are vaccinated and no one in this world deserve to be vaccinated forcefully. This is why there are no tourists in many countries.

Due to this reason, hotel owners are suffering a lot. As far as a job in hotel is concerned, I have never had a job in any hotel in my life. But I think that having a job in hotel would be awesome experience. Of course there might be many terrible experiences as well because when you manage a hotel, you tend to meet many different kinds of customers who are willing to stay at your hotel and things could go wrong if they become angry. I like the idea of serving people who come to stay at your place. I do not know why would anyone not like to work in a hotel?

Alexandoy

VIP Contributor
A niece of a friend works as a waitress in a big hotel in our country which is a branch of a big hotel chain. She is lucky that she was not terminated after 5 months. That is the usual period that is allowed here for casual employees. When an employee had worked for 6 months he is automatic to be a permanent employee and not a casual or probationary anymore. Most of the lower level position like the room boy and chambermaid that includes the restaurant labor force, only the supervisors are permanent employees. They give guidance to the lower level worker because after 5 months there will be a new set of workers in that position. That niece is surely lucky because aside from being a permanent waitress she was transferred to the hotel in Macau. The salary is higher and there are perks like free accommodation and plane ticket for vacations.

Kingsley

Valued Contributor
Hotel business has been available for quite a very long time, and we can not over emphasize the relevance of hotel in our today's world. Hotel as some times been seen as a place set out for relaxation and a place where people go for entertainment, they visit hotels too to carry out so,e recreational activities. Hotel has sincerely vecome indispensable to man some even see hotels a home away from home. Because when they visit an hotel they are treated so well and all their basic and very essential needs are been provided, which makes people feel so comfortable and relaxed. I have seen people that just moved to an hotel not necessarily because they were on transit but they moved to an hotel to feel that pleasure and comfort that comes with it.

Now working in a hotel actually comes with alot of benefits, one stands to save alot of money because first your will be able to satisfy two of the basic needs of man which is having food and shelter for free, and one will be able to save and provide clothing for yourself. The only reason why I may not want to work there is as a result of insecurity.

Richee84

Hotel is one of a very lucrative business in the business world today. Hotel business is associated with tourism that attract not just people from within the country buy people from different country that can make use of it. Hotel is also seen as a place of relaxation for people to come and enjoy there time. Working in Hotel can be very stressful and hectic as it's time consuming. Though must of it services involve shifting or rotational but it is still time consuming for those that work there. Another reason why I will not want to work in and hotel is the bad perspective given to people working in Hotel as been corrupt people because of the nature of the work they are doing. Because of the the kind or nature of the things that happen in Hotel now today, , people often see hotel as place where people come to drink and prostitute, they see the place as a place made bad people and so thereforethe worker who are employed to work there will definitely be influence in a negative way. People who work in Hotel are also perceived to be corrupt and seen as bad people cause they must have been influence negatively.

sincerem

VIP Contributor
It depends on the position of hotel job which is offered to me or which I seek for. I wouldn't just take up any hotel job because I want to earn from a hotel gig. Especially on sales personnel, o wouldn't be a sales person in ant hotel, that's the number one person or worker that is attested to sexual harassment often by customers, and other sort of abuse especially when their are too many customers request.

If I am to take up a hotel job, if I'll go into the reception side, or simply take a lead role depending my qualification,a manager is a tremendous option, but it wouldn't come first time to me. It's simply for someone who got experience in such role, and it comes through recommendation. Since I have no qualification, and other kind of hotel job isn't suiting to me, I wouldn't bother to go for any of them. I'll simply go for other job departments, their are simply many of them to choose from and not just hotel gigs.

At this point in time via my locality, better paying gigs offline is lacking, it is better here online than seeking to work offline, due to its scarcity unless you're recommended for one.

Wiserr

Seriously it depends on the type of person you are, but I will say this not a Time to be chose from what to do or not, hotel is also a good way to earn money especially if you work in a big hotel, you can be a waiter or waitress it's still a good idea all you are after is money and you can earn huge amount money by working on a hotel, I have never worked on a hotel but I think it will he very great to do that.